Other (Former) Names of Site: Inland Chemical Corporation (1973-1982), BP Oil Company Petroleum Storage Facility (1969-1973), ARCO Petroleum Storage Facility (1928-1969)
|EPA Identification Number:||NYD075806836|
|Facility Location:||400 Bear Street, Syracuse, New York|
|Facility Contact Name:||David Ulm, (315) 446-9120|
|EPA Contact Name:||Andy Park, (212) 637-4184, email@example.com|
|New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) Case Manager:||Bruce R. Terbush (518) 457-9253, firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Last Updated:||September 2000|
|Environmental Indicator Status:||Human Exposures Under Control
[PDF 237.30 KB,
16 pp] has been verified.
Groundwater Contamination Under Control [PDF 245.33 KB, 9 pp] has been verified.
The facility is approximately 8.2 acres in size and is located at 400 Bear Street West in the city of Syracuse, south of Onondaga Lake. The facility has been used since the 1930's as a bulk petroleum distribution terminal for gasoline, diesel fuel, heating oil, etc. In 1973, the facility was converted to a chemical distribution terminal. The storage tanks were used for temporary storage of spent solvents, mixtures and by-products. During the operation of the facility, releases occurred from spills and tank leakage. Soil samples collected in 1984 revealed the presence of hazardous constituents in soil and groundwater.
Site Regulatory Responsibility and Legal Instrument
New York State Order on Consent, Article 27, Title 13
Inland Chemical Company filed a Part A application in 1980 and received interim status as a hazardous waste tank storage facility. They closed the regulated unit and submitted a RCRA closure certification in 1989. New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) accepted closure certification in 1990 and stated that corrective action would proceed under a State Consent Order under the Inactive Hazardous Waste Site Program.
Potential Threats and Contaminants
During the site investigation, elevated levels of volatile and semi-volatile organics, such as xylene, methylene chloride, methanol, acetone and N,N-dimethylaniline were identified at concentrations above environmental standards, criteria and guidance in soil and groundwater at the facility. The March 1994 and 1997 Record of Decisions stated that there was a potential health risk through human contact with contaminated soils and groundwater within the site boundaries. Groundwater monitoring indicated that contaminants did not appear to be migrating off site.
A Record of Decision was issued in March of 1994 and called for the bioremediation of unsaturated soils. This action was implemented in 1995 and has successfully treated 20,000 cubic yards of contaminated soils. The ground surface has been graded and seeded to promote runoff and reduce infiltration into remedial areas. A March 1997 Record of Decision was issued to address saturated soils via an anaerobic bioremediation system. This action was completed in early 1998 and will be operational for approximately 5 years. The facility will continue groundwater monitoring for process control and post-remedial evaluation.
Copies of supporting technical documents and correspondence cited in this site fact sheet are available for public review at:
NYSDEC - Region 7 Office
615 Erie Boulevard West
Syracuse, New York 13204-2400
Attn: Mr. Charles Branagh
Telephone: (315) 426-7551
NYSDEC - Central Office
Division of Solid and Hazardous Materials
Bureau of Radiation and Hazardous Waste Management
Albany, NY 12233-72558
Attn: Mr. Michael J. Ryan
Telephone: (518) 457-4343