College and University Athletic Directors Need to Consider Regarding the
School's Sports Facilities
The following list of questions has been
developed by EPA , Mid-Atlantic Region, to help you determine if environmental
compliance is being met through the management operations of the athletic
facilities on your campus. Many of these questions relate to an Environmental
Management System, or EMS. An EMS includes such elements as policies, procedures,
tracking, and auditing. This framework helps to provide a systematic approach
to managing environmental compliance and improving environmental programs.
While having a good system doesn't guarantee compliance, it greatly increases
the chances that your college or university will not falter in meeting its
environmental obligations. It does this by integrating environmental compliance
activities into routine campus operations. EMS guidance information.
Twenty questions for consideration:
- Environmental Compliance - Have
all facilities and operations covered by environmental regulations --
both state and federal -- been identified?
- Audit - Is there a routine audit
process in place to verify compliance?
- Water - How safe is the drinking
water? Has the water been tested for lead and other contaminants? When
was the last time it was tested?
- Air - How is the indoor air quality?
When was the last time the HVAC ducts were cleaned and checked for mold?
Are there carbon monoxide monitors in the dressing rooms and offices?
- Hazardous Wastes - How are hazardous
wastes, such as solvents, paints, chlorine, ammonia, and pesticides
accounted for, stored, used and disposed of?
- Medical Wastes - Are medical wastes,
e.g. syringes, being properly handled and disposed of?
- Asbestos - Is there asbestos present
in any facilities? Where is it? What is its condition? Is it being maintained?
Is it contained? Will it have to be removed and, if so, when, and at
- PCBs - Are there any transformers
or generators in any facilities which contain PCBs?
- Radon - Are any of the school's
sports facilities located a radon-prone area? Have facilities been tested
for the presence of radon?
- Underground Storage Tanks - Are there
any underground storage tanks located on or near the premises? If so,
are they in compliance with applicable local, state and Federal regulations?
What problems would they cause if they leaked? Is there a Spill Prevention
Control and Countermeasure plan in place?
- Aboveground Storage Tanks - Are
there any aboveground storage tanks located on or near facilities and,
if so, what problems would they cause if they leaked? Are they in compliance
with applicable local, state, and Federal regulations? Is there a Spill
Prevention Control and Countermeasure plan in place?
- Pipelines - Do any pipelines run
under any athletic facilities? What is in the pipelines? If there was
a leakage would it create an environmental and/or safety problem?
- Pesticides - Are pesticides and/or
other toxic substances being used on the athletic fields? If so, are
they being used at acceptable levels and in no way a hazard for the
athletes or the environment?
- Lead Based Paint - Is there lead
based paint on or in any facility?
- Laundry/Dry Cleaning - If dry
cleaning and laundry operations are operated on the premises, are hazardous
materials associated with these operations being properly handled? Is
the equipment properly vented and maintained?
- Recycling - Is a recycling system
in place to minimize waste and the cost of waste disposal?
- Environmental Friendly Products - Are environmentally friendly products, such as recycled paper for
stationery and paper cups instead of Styrofoam cups, being used in our
offices and concession stands?
- Reducing Energy Costs - Green
Lights and Energy Star Buildings partnerships minimize energy costs
and reduce pollution; have these programs been put into place?
- Emissions - Are there any boilers
in the sports facilities that would pollute the air?
- Swimming Pools - Have worst case
scenario plans been filed for potential releases of chlorine and other
hazard chemicals? Is there proper venting for indoor facilities?
- Contact Makeba Morris (email@example.com) at 215-814-2187.
- Public Information Hotline - 800-438-2474
- Business Assistance Hotline - 800-228-8711