On this page:
Michael F. Vaccaro Honors Attorney 2014 Fellowship Brochure - PDF (2pp, 361k, about pdf)
The Michael F. Vaccaro Fellowship is open to U.S. citizens with excellent academic credentials and a strong interest in an environmental career or the public sector, and who are:
- 2013 and 2014 graduates from an accredited law school, or
- current judicial clerks (one or two years out of law school), or
- JAG attorneys completing their initial tour of duty following completion of law school.
A law school graduate who has been employed as an attorney, other than judicial clerks and JAG service, will not be considered.
The Michael F. Vaccaro Honors Attorney Fellowship provides a unique opportunity to practice law in a major governmental environmental organization, and to receive extensive training in and exposure to environmental law and policy work in the public sector. The Fellowship recipient will work in the Office of Regional Counsel on particular matters arising under the major federal environmental statutes (such as the Clean Water Act, the Clean Air Act, Superfund, and the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act) and other federal statutes relevant to EPA Region 3 operations (such as the Ethics in Government Act, the Civil Rights Act, and the Freedom of Information Act). These matters typically require the application of emerging law and policy to significant environmental issues in Region 3. The Fellowship will also include an opportunity to manage environmental enforcement cases.
The Fellowship begins in the Fall of 2014, and the Fellow is expected to commit to a two year term. The salary will be at the GS-11 level (currently starting at $61,857) or, in unusual circumstances where appropriate qualifications exist, at the GS-12 level (currently starting at $74,142).
The U. S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region 3, Office of Regional Counsel is responsible for preparing administrative, and judicial, civil and criminal cases against suspected violators of environmental laws. These cases involve developing and using technical and legal strategies for negotiation and litigation purposes. The primary statutes enforced by the Environmental Protection Agency are:
- Clean Air Act
- Clean Water Act
- Safe Drinking Water Act
- Toxic Substances Control Act
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act
- Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act of 1980 (Superfund)
- Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act
- Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act
Each attorney's case load normally is not confined to one industry or statute. The Region consists of Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia.
In addition to preparing enforcement actions, attorneys are also responsible for advising the Regional Administrator, Division Directors, EPA state liaisons and state officials on the interpretation of environmental laws and regulations. Furthermore, attorneys are expected to participate in any civil and criminal litigation of cases referred to the Department of Justice and to represent the Agency in administrative proceedings.
Beginning on August 1, 2014 through August 29, 2014, Region 3 will accept applications. Interested applicants should apply early and submit the following:
- A resume listing bar admission status, including, for those not yet admitted, whether the candidate sat for the July 2014 bar exam, and day and evening telephone numbers;
- An unofficial transcript of law school grades. (An official transcript will be requested at the time of interview);
- A letter explaining the applicant's interest in the Fellowship; and
- The name, address, and telephone number of three references. Included should be a current or former employer and a law school professor or advisor.
Questions regarding the Vaccaro Fellowship should be directed to Tanya Williams via telephone only at (215) 814-2146.
Application packages that are submitted via email should be submitted in PDF format and to this email address only. Email submissions should include "2014 Vaccaro Fellowship Application" in the subject line.
OR SEND TO:
Donzetta Workman Thomas (Mailcode: 3RC50)
Vaccaro Fellowship Coordinator/Senior Assistant Regional Counsel
USEPA Region 3
1650 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Applications submitted via mail should include: "Attn: 2014 Vaccaro Fellowship Application" on the envelope. Do not email applications to Ms. Thomas.
Selected applicants will be invited for interviews in Philadelphia (at the candidate's expense) . Interviews will be scheduled over a 2-3 week period, beginning in late September 2014. Upon request, interviews may also be conducted via video-conference.
EPA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
For a listing of other EPA regions with an Honors Attorney Program, please visit http://www.epa.gov/careers/legal/index.html