Jump to main content.


Tittabawassee River Reach D

Bridge

The Site covers the area in the vicinity of an historic, 1,200 foot-long, water discharge flume containing approximately 15,000 cubic yards of dioxin-contaminated sediment and bottom deposits. sThe site is generally bounded by the Dow Revetment Groundwater Interception System (RGIS) sheet piling along the northeast bank of the Tittabawassee River and a line of old sheet piling constructed in the 1930s-1940s and varying from 5 to 40 feet distant from the bank.The entire removal area is located upstream of the Dow Dam.The historic water discharge flume was, at one time, connected to an outfall at the Midland Plant.

The Midland Plant began operations in 1897.The Plant covers approximately 1,900 acres.The majority of the Midland Plant is located on the east side of the Tittabawassee River and South of the City of Midland.Over the time of its operation, the Midland Plant has produced over 1,000 different organic and inorganic chemicals.These chemicals include the manufacture of 24 chlorophenolic compounds since the 1930s.

The Tittabawassee River is a tributary to the Saginaw River, draining approximately 2,600 square miles of land in the Saginaw River watershed.The Tittabawassee River flows south and east for a distance of approximately 80 miles to its confluence with the Shiawassee River approximately 22 miles southeast of Midland.Up stream of the Midland Plant, the Tittabawassee River flow is regulated by the Secord, Smallwood, Edenville, and Sanford dams.

Legal Documents

Maps

Pollution Reports (POLREPs)

Top of page


Local Navigation


Jump to main content.