Grand Traverse Overall Supply
Public Comment and/or Public Meeting
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency will hold an open house to answer questions about the start of the ground water cleanup portion of the remedy for the former Grand Traverse Overall Supply Superfund Site.
6 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2012 at Elmwood Township Center Office, 10090 E. Lincoln Road, Traverse City
Community Involvement Coordinator
Don de Blasio (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-4360 or 800-621-8431, ext. 64360
Remedial Project Manager
Linda Martin (email@example.com)
Michelle Jaster (firstname.lastname@example.org)
(where to view written records)
Traverse Area District Library
610 Woodmere Avenue
Traverse City, MI 49686
Air Monitoring during soil remediation
EPA is conducting soil remediation activities for approximately two weeks during October 2011. Contaminated soils are being excavated and hauled offsite to an approved landfill. During soil excavation and backfill activities, we will collect air samples each day to monitor the ambient air for volatile organic compounds (VOCs). We will not collect air samples when it is raining or on weekends (no excavation will be going on then). We will post analytical results daily so that residents and community members can view the data.
At the end of each day, the four summa canisters that have been taking readings will be sent to a lab for analysis. We are measuring approximatly 30 different VOCs using the standard lab method TO-15. These results will be compared to the Michigan ambient air standards. The analysis takes 24 hours.
Grand Traverse Overall Supply was a commercial laundering and dry cleaning facility. GTOS began laundering operations in that building in 1953. These machines were removed during the1980s. Activities at the site between 1955 and 1968 included construction of a dry well and seepage lagoons to collect waste. In 1977 the facility began discharging waste to the sanitary sewer. A year later, the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) discovered groundwater contaminated with volatile organic compounds (VOCs) such as trichloroethylene (TCE) and perchlotoethlyene (PCE), impacting at least 10 wells. One of the wells supplied water to an adjacent elementary school. Contaninated wells were abandoned and new wells were drilled. The waste lagoons were drained and filled with gravel, and the contaminated soils around the dry well and on-site barrels of waste sludge were removed in the 1970s.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- EPA Extends Comment Period On Proposed Cleanup Plan For Grand Traverse Overall Supply Superfund Site, news release December 2, 2010
- EPA to hold public meeting and hearings on Grand Traverse County disposal wells, news release April 14, 2009
- EPA will postpone work near Norris School until after the school year, news release March 19, 2008
- Soil to be Removed Soon: Long-term Plan Approved, Fact Sheet, March 2008 (PDF) (4pp, 837K)
- The Grand Traverse Overall Supply Site, Presentation, November 29, 2007 (PDF) (40pp, 1.7MB)
- Cleanup Work Planned for Laundry Plant, Fact Sheet (PDF) (10pp, 948K)
- Slideshow for public meeting (PDF) (42pp, 1.7MB) August 30, 2005
- Early Test Results Find No Health Threat in School (PDF) (4pp, 185K) June 2005 fact sheet
- EPA to Investigate Laundry Air Quality (PDF) (4pp, 282K) February 2005
- EPA Proposes Change to Soil Cleanup Plan (PDF) (8pp, 301K) October 2010
- Record of Decision Amendment #1 (PDF) (77pp, 4.1MB) April 8, 2011
- Grand Traverse Overall Supply Superfund Site - Record of Decision - February 2008 (PDF) (41pp, 257K)
- Appendix A - Figures (PDF) (7pp, 901K)
- Appendix B - Tables (PDF) (23pp, 1.5MB)
- Appendix C - Concurrence Letter from the MDEQ (PDF) (3pp, 102K)
- Appendix D - Index to the Administrative Record (PDF) (25pp, 818K)
- Appendix E - Comments received during the public comment period (PDF) (121pp, 3.8MB)
- Come talk with us ad (PDF) (1pp, 23.4KB)
- Learn more about EPA’s cleanup plans for the Grand Traverse Overall Supply Site (PDF) (1pp, 611KB)
- Slide presentation from EPA public meeting March 18, 2008 (PDF) (40pp, 1.5MB)
- EPA held a public meeting Thursday, November 29, 2007 at Elmwood Township Center in Traverse City, MI.
- EPA accepted comments on the proposed cleanup plan from November 29 to December 31, 2007.