Hartford Area Hydrocarbon Plume Site
- Hartford, IL (Madison County)
Community Involvement Coordinator
Steve Faryan (email@example.com)
Kevin Turner (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Illinois EPA Community Relations Coordinator
Mara McGinnis (email@example.com)
Illinois EPA Collinsville Regional Office, Manager
Chris Cahnovsky (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Illinois EPA Project Manager
(where to view written records)
Hartford Public Library
143 W. Hawthorne
Hartford, IL 62048
Monday-Thursday 12-6 pm
Friday-Saturday 12-4 pm
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
August 2014 Update
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is overseeing several oil companies while they clean up gasoline pollution lying beneath the village of Hartford. The oil companies are both removing gasoline and studying the most effective ways of eliminating more. A vapor removal system was installed in the village for that purpose. The Hartford Working Group, or HWG, is the name of the three oil companies that installed the vapor system and currently runs it. In-home monitoring performed by a fourth oil company, Apex Oil, also verifies residents are safe from fumes. Apex is the company responsible for designing the final cleanup plan.
- Community Open House; Update on Gasoline Cleanup (PDF) (2pp, 235K) August 2014
- Fact Sheet: Test Will Help EPA Remove Gas From Beneath Village (PDF) (2pp, 250K) November 2013
- SVE System Up and Running; New Cleanup in Planning Stages (PDF) (6pp, 564K) November 2007
- Major Expansion of SVE System to Begin This Summer (PDF) (4pp, 1MB) August 2006
- EPA Recommends Protective Measures for Home Vapor Problems (PDF) (4pp, 372K) October 2004
- Response to comments for the Hartford Area Hydrocarbon Plume site (PDF) (10pp, 77K) June 2004
- Companies Agree to Address Vapors and Contamination (PDF) (6pp, 722K) March 2004
- Petroleum Vapor Problems in Northeast Hartford Basements, Illinois EPA Fact sheet, June 2003
- Administrative Order on Consent (AOC) (PDF) (33pp, 96K) March 2004
- EPA held an open house on gasoline cleanup Aug. 12, 2014.
- EPA held an open house and public meeting on March 25, 2004
- EPA accepted comments on the Administrative Order on Consent through April 7, 2004.