Lane Street Investigation Site
Community Involvement Coordinator
Janet Pope (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-0628 or 800-621-8431, ext.30628
Remedial Project Manager
312-353-7921 or 800-621-8431, ext. 37921
Interim Remedial Project Manager
312-886-1999 or 800-621-8431, ext. 61999
(where to view written records)
Elkhart Public Library
300 South Second St.
Elkhart, IN 46516
EPA and the Indiana Department of Environmental Management have identified elevated levels of trichloroethylene (TCE) in ground water and well water samples collected from residences on Lane Street in Elkhart, Ind. TCE is a type of industrial solvent. (see ATSDR fact sheet about trichloroethylene [PDF] [2pp, 53K])
IDEM began a site investigation in the Lane Street residential area in response to a telephone call from the Elkhart County Health Department on August 22, 2007, stating that a resident on Lane Street in Elkhart, Ind., had submitted a drinking water sample to an independent laboratory for analysis. The analysis of the water revealed highly elevated levels of TCE.
On August 23 and 30, 2007, IDEM staff sampled the ground water from private wells on and north of Lane Street including the residence that had phoned the Elkhart County Health Department with the elevated TCE concentration. The wells at several homes were found to be contaminated. Initially, IDEM furnished bottled water to about 13 homes whose wells were either contaminated or near contaminated wells. Later, EPA provided water filtration systems to these 13 homes. After further investigation of the contamination, EPA connected 26 homes on the street and adjoining streets that had private wells to the municipal water supply, completing this in November 2008. The other homes on Lane Street were already connected to the municipal water supply.
In April and May 2011, EPA contractors sampled groundwater at 25 different locations within the residential area as well as the industrial area of the Lane Street site. The goal of the sampling was to find out how far the contamination has moved and to possibly find the source of the contamination.
Approximately 170 groundwater samples and 14 soil samples were collected during the field event including two private groundwater well samples from a residential and a commercial property. Site related contaminants were not found in any of the soil samples. However, the contaminants TCE, 1,1-dichloroethane (1,1-DCA), and tetrachloroethylene (PCE) were found in the groundwater samples. However, the contaminants TCE, 1,1-dichloroethane (1,1-DCA), and tetrachloroethylene (PCE) were found in the groundwater samples. The groundwater results were discussed in detail during a public meeting at the Osolo Elementary School on May 22, 2013 and are presented in figures under technical documents for reference.
In the late spring of 2013, EPA collected soil, soil vapor, and additional groundwater samples to further investigate the source and extent of groundwater contamination at the Lane Street site. This second round of investigation was conducted in response to elevated levels of TCE, 1,1-DCA, and PCE that were found in groundwater samples collected in April and May of 2011.
During the 2013 investigation, approximately 135 groundwater samples and 11 soil vapor samples were collected and analyzed for contaminants including TCE, 1,1-DCA, and PCE. Groundwater samples were collected within the industrial and residential areas of the site at 12 boring locations and 44 monitoring wells (including 22 monitoring wells installed by another consultant, Roberts Environmental), and soil vapor samples were collected from 11 different locations.
The contaminants TCE, 1,1-DCA, and PCE, including cis-1,2-dichloroethene, which is a breakdown product of TCE, were found in the groundwater samples and are presented in tables and figures below. Site related contaminants were not found in any of the soil or soil vapor samples with the exception of PCE that was found in one soil vapor sample within the industrial area.
- Soil Vapor VOC Results (PDF) (1p, 13K) June 2013
- Groundwater and Soil VOCs Results (PDF) (16pp, 150KB) June 2013
- Trichloroethylene in Groundwater (PDF) April 2014 (1p, 1.2MB)
- Tetrachloroethylene in Groundwater (PDF) (1p, 1.2MB) April 2014
- Cis-1,2-Dichloroethene in Groundwater (PDF) (1p, 1.2MB) April 2014
- 1,1-Dichloroethane in Groundwater (PDF) (1p, 1.2MB) April 2014
- VOCs in Soil Vapor (PDF) April 2014 (1p, 922K)
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA plans to continue additional rounds of groundwater and private well sampling at the Lane Street site beginning in April 2014. Groundwater monitoring will give EPA a better understanding of where the groundwater plume flows, how deep it is and the extent of contamination.
The results from the remedial investigation will be used to try and determine the source of the contamination and identify appropriate long-term measures for groundwater remediation. Once the investigation is completed, EPA will inform residents of findings and recommend future actions.
In April and May 2011, EPA contractors sampled ground water at 25 locations, both residential and industrial. These samples showed elevated levels of trichloroethylene, or TCE, and other contaminants. Based on the results of those samples, EPA is doing a second round of investigation that will begin in late spring. It includes both the industrial park to the north and residential area.
- ATSDR Invites Public Comment on the Revised Draft Lane Street Ground Water Contamination Report (PDF) (2pg, 608K) - March 14, 2013
- Letter to Residents (PDF) (1pg, 608K) - March 2012
- EPA adds Elkhart site to Superfund list - September 23, 2009
- EPA adds East Chicago site to Superfund list; proposes Elkhart, Ind., site - April 8, 2009
- EPA offers Elkhart water hookups to Lane Street homes; meeting Oct. 15 - October 9, 2008
- Letter to residents re Elkhart Municipal Water Hookups - October 9, 2008
- Lane Street Groundwater site maintained by the On-Scene Coordinator
- Groundwater and Soil VOCs Results (PDF)(16pp, 150KB) June 2013
- Data Validation Summary Report (PDF) (14pp, 26KB) June 2013
- Public Health Assessment (PDF)(50pp, 450KB) July 2013
- ATSDR Releases Final Public Health Assessment (PDF) (2pp, 325KB) July 2013
- Field Sampling Plan Addendum Figure A-5 (PDF) (1pp, 1.4MB) May 2013
- Field Sampling Plan Addendum Figure A-4 (PDF) (1pp, 1.8MB) May 2013
- Field Sampling Plan Addendum Figure 3 (PDF) (1pp, 1MB) May 2013
- Public Health Assessment (PDF) (48pp, 463KB) March 2013
- 1,1-Dichloroethane (1,1-DCA) Groundwater Results - Figure 3 (PDF) (1pp, 515KB) January 2013
- Tetrachloroethylene (PCE) Groundwater Results - Figure 2 (PDF) (1pp, 511KB) January 2013
- Trichloroethylene (TCE) Groundwater Results - Figure 1 (PDF) (1pp, 524KB) January 2013
- Lane Street Ground Water Contamination Site Community Involvement Plan (PDF) (27pp, 474KB) December 2012
- Ground Water Sampling to Continue this Spring (PDF)(2pp, 77KB) May 2013
- Water Line Hookups Offered to Contaminated Well Users (PDF) (2pp, 61KB) October 2008
- Presentation from May 22, 2013 public meeting (PDF)(25pp, 2MB) May 2013
- Postcard (PDF) (1pp, 26KB) May 2013
- A public meeting was held October 15, 2008 and May 22, 2013