Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
312-886-0214 or 800-621-8431, ext. 60214
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Annette Weissbach (annette.weissbach@
(where to view written records)
Manitowoc Public Library
707 Quay St.
Whitelaw Village Hall
147 W. Menasha Ave.
The Town of Franklin used the 21-acre landfill as an open dump for about 30 years. Municipal waste and power plant fly and bottom ash were disposed of there. In 1985, volatile organic compounds, or VOCs, such as vinyl chloride and methylene chloride were found in seven residential wells at levels that exceeded safety standards. New, deeper wells were provided to residents with contaminated wells. Although the landfill's owner filed for bankruptcy in the early 1980s, a group of companies who had transported waste to the landfill during its years of operation paid to clean up the landfill as well as contaminated ground water. Much of the cleanup was done in conjunction with the nearby Lemberger Transport and Recycling site.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Latest Update: August 2010
EPA completed a review of the cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment.
The review included:
- An evaluation of background information
- Cleanup requirements
- Effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
- Maintenance and monitoring efforts
- An analysis of ways for EPA to operate more efficiently
The review found the cleanup currently protects people and the environment, but further actions are required to assure long-term protection. The next scheduled review will be in 2015.
- Final Remedial Investigation (RI) Report (PDF) (343pp, 16.5MB) - October 1990
- Final Phased Feasibility Study (PDF) (363pp, 17.6MB) - May 1991
- Record of Decision (PDF) (19pp, 43K) September 1994
- Record of Decision (PDF) (24pp, 55K) September 1991
- Third five-year review (PDF) (249 pp, 47MB) July 2010
- Second five-year review (PDF) (59 pp, 6.9MB) 2005
- First five-year review (for both sites) (PDF) (33pp, 1.3MB) November 2000
- Lemberger Transport & Recycling Administrative Order on Consent (AOC) (PDF) (28pp, 1.2MB) July 1993
- Consent Decree (PDF) (133pp, 5.1MB) October 1992