Mid-State Disposal, Inc. Landfill
- Cleveland Township, WI (Marathon County)
- EPA ID# WID980823082
- NPL Site Narrative
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
312-886-6726 or 800-621-8431, ext. 66726
(where to view written records)
Marathon Public Library
400 N. Fourth Ave.,
Stratford, WI 54484
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
The Mid-State Disposal, Inc. Landfill site is located in central Wisconsin, four miles northeast of the village of Stratford, Wisconsin, in Marathon County. While in operation from 1970 to 1979, it accepted municipal, industrial, and commercial waste including paper mill sludge, asbestos dust, solvents, pesticides, paint sludge, and metals.
A cleanup plan was selected in September 1988 and modified in August 1995 that included construction of a landfill cap, installation of a gas extraction and collection system, improvements to site drainage, off-site treatment of leachate, site fencing, and ground-water and surface water monitoring. Per a 1990 legal agreement called a consent decree, Mid-State Disposal, Inc., the owner/operator of the landfill, and Weyerhauser Corp., the generator of the waste, paid for the cleanup.
EPA has completed a status review of the site’s cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete--or ongoing--but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment.
The review included:
- An evaluation of background information
- Cleanup requirements
- Effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
- An analysis of ways for EPA to operate more efficiently
This was the fourth five-year review (PDF) (152 pp, 10 MB) for the Mid-State Disposal site. The previous review was done in 2009.
- Record of Decision (PDF) (58pp, 2.8MB) September 1988
- Record of Decision amendment (PDF) (22pp, 880K) August 1995
- Remedial Investigation (PDF) (199pp, 8.2MB) April 1988
- Mid-State Disposal, Inc. Superfund Site Proposed Plan (PDF) (8pp, 824K) July 1988
- Feasibility Study Report (PDF) (292pp, 9.2MB) July 1988
- Fourth five-year review (PDF) (152pp, 10MB) August 2014
- Third five-year review (PDF) (67pp, 8.2MB) August 2009
- Second five-year review (PDF) (73pp, 3.4MB) August 2004
- First five-year review (PDF) (59pp, 2.6MB) January 1999
- 1992 Consent decree (PDF) (31pp, 684K) November 1992
- 1990 Consent decree (PDF) (138pp, 3.4MB) March 1990