Northern Engraving Co. Superfund Site
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (email@example.com)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
Mary Tierney (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-4785 or 800-621-8431, ext. 64785
(where to view written records)
Sparta Free Library
124 W. Main St.
The Northern Engraving facility is located in Sparta, Wisconsin and is adjacent to residential and business areas as well as the La Crosse River which forms the southern boundary of the site. The company uses anodizing, chemical etching, and chromate conversion-coating processes to produce metal name plates, dials, and decorative trim for the automotive industry. It was placed on the National Priorities List in September 1983 because of the potential for soil, ground water, and surface water contamination due to past waste water treatment and disposal practices.
The cleanup of four areas (a sludge lagoon, a seepage pit, a sludge dump site, and a lagoon drainage ditch) was completed by 1991. About 4,400 cubic yards of sludge and soil were excavated and consolidated, a cover was installed over the lagoon, access and deed restrictions were put in place, and the ground water was monitored. Cleanup goals have been achieved. The site was deleted from the National Priorities List on October 29,1997.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA is doing a status review of the cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment. This is the fifth five-year review for the landfill.
Contact the site community involvement coordinator and/or the remedial project manager to provide input on this review process. The review will include:
- An evaluation of background information
- A summary of cleanup requirements
- A report on the effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
- An analysis of ways for EPA to operate more efficiently
- Closeout Report (PDF) (14pp, 819K) September 1989
- Proposed plan (PDF) (10pp, 513K) 1987
- Feasibility study report (PDF) (143pp, 4.4MB) August 1987
- Fourth five-year review (PDF) (27pp, 1MB) September 2010
- Third five-year review (PDF) (42pp, 1.1MB) August 2005
- Second five-year review (PDF) (10pp, 87K) September 2000
- First five-year review (PDF) (62pp, 2.2MB) June 1994
- Administrative Order on Consent - RI/FS (AOC) (PDF) (24pp, 979K) September 1985