North Shore Gas (NSG) South Plant Former MGP
Community Involvement Coordinator
Heriberto León (email@example.com)
312-886-6163 or 800-621-8431, ext. 66163
9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., weekdays
Remedial Project Manager
Rosauro Del Rosario
312-886-6195 or 800-621-8431, ext. 66195
8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., weekdays
312-353-9298 or 800-621-8431, ext. 39298
(where to view written records)
Waukegan Public Library
128 N. County St.
EPA is interested in your comments on the proposed cleanup plan for the North Shore Gas (NSG) South Plant Former MGP site.
The public comment period runs from May 6, 2015 to June 5, 2015. You may submit your comment on the proposed plan here.
EPA will hold an open house on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 from 3 to 6 p.m. and a public meeting from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Lilac Cottage in Bowen Park, 1911 N. Sheridan, Waukegan. Public comments will be accepted at the meeting.
Type of site
Integrys Energy Group (Integrys), LLC approached EPA in 2007 to address 13 former MGPs in Illinois under EPA’s Superfund Alternative Sites (SAS) program. The SAS Program takes sites that might otherwise be eligible for the National Priorities List but which will be investigated and cleaned up by a cooperative responsible party, without formally listing the site on the NPL. The South Plant Former MGP site is one of those 13 sites
- Former manufactured gas plant (MGP) sites
- Superfund Alternative Approach
- Fact Sheet: Understanding the Superfund Alternative Approach
- On Pershing Road in an industrial / commercial area of Waukegan, Lake County, Illinois, just south of Waukegan Harbor.
- The site includes the 1.9-acre former MGP facility and adjacent areas—which total around 20 additional acres—where MGP residuals are now found:
- Akzo Nobel Aerospace Coatings facility
- Waukegan Port District—including the marina, administration and maintenance buildings, along with parking lots
- Elgin, Joliet & Eastern railroad tracks and right-of-way
- City of Waukegan right-of-way
- The South Plant MGP facility itself is owned by North Shore Gas Company, a subsidiary of Integrys Energy Group (Integrys).
The NSG South Plant former MGP facility was constructed in 1897 by the Waukegan Pipeline Service Company and purchased by North Shore Gas in 1900. The plant was operational from 1898 to 1946 except for a stoppage from 1927 to 1935, and was razed in 1951. On-site features included a coal gas condensing building, a purifying building, a generator building and a laboratory. Four tar wells and five storage tanks, three for gas and two for oil, were also located on-site.
Contamination of groundwater at the site includes:
- volatile organic compounds (VOCs), consisting mostly of benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylene (BTEX)
- semi-volatile organic compounds (SVOCs—primarily polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons [PAHs])
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
U.S. EPA is recommending a cleanup plan to manage an area of undissolved tar-like liquids called dense non-aqueous phase liquid, or DNAPL. This hazardous material lies beneath the North Shore Gas Former South Plant MGP site. The plan calls for removing DNAPL using recovery wells and treating it off-site. DNAPL is contaminating the underground water at the site. EPA will make its plan final only after reviewing all comments. The proposed cleanup plan has a comment period from May 6 to June 5, 2015. (Details in box at the top of this page.) The plan may be modified based on new information or public comments; so your opinion is important.
Read the Proposed Plan (PDF) (30pp, 848KB) May 2015
Read the proposed plan fact sheet (PDF) (8pp, 769K) May 2015
- Focus Feasibility Study (PDF) (158pp, 11MB) March 2015
- U.S. EPA Proposes Cleanup Plan for Tar Pollution(PDF) (8pp, 769K) May 2015
- Proposed Plan (PDF) (30pp, 848KB) May 2015
- Presentation on Remedial Investigation Findings (PDF) (50pp, 5MB) January 2014
- Administrative Settlement Agreement and Order on Consent for Remedial Investigations and Feasibility Studies (PDF) (82 pp, 7.1 MB) July 2007
- Remedial Investigation (RI) Report (11353pp. 300MB) January 2014, view at repository or contact Heriberto León.