The Chevron Environmental Management Facility site, located on State Route 128 just north of the junction of U.S. Route 50 in Hooven, dates back to 1931 when Gulf Oil Co. produced gasoline, jet and diesel fuel, home-heating oil and sulfur. It was acquired by Chevron in 1985 and ceased operation in 1986.
Environmental investigation began in 1985 as a result of fuel seepage into the Great Miami River. Chevron initiated a "corrective action" investigation and cleanup under EPA oversight in 1993 when Chevron signed a legal agreement with the Agency.
Investigations have since revealed a large area of polluted ground water, or plume, of floating hydrocarbons (mostly gasoline). The hydrocarbon released lies beneath the facility at approximately 10 - 25 feet below the surface and extends west beneath the village of Hooven at 35 - 65 feet below ground.
Sixteen wells on the facility property have pumped out and treated more than 1 billion gallons of polluted ground water and recovered 3.5 million gallons of hydrocarbon product since the initial pumps began operating in 1985.
In 2004 , EPA approved a plan for Chevron to complete cleanup of sludges and polluted soils on the ChevronTexaco property and Chevron has been implementing this plan.
In August 2006, after a public comment period and hearing, EPA announced its plan to address polluted ground water.