Tremont City Barrel Fill Site
- Tremont City, OH (Clark County)
- EPA ID# OHD980612188
- This site is not on the NPL; it is a Superfund Alternative Site (SAS)
Community Involvement Coordinator
Patricia Krause (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-9506 or 800-621-8431, ext. 69506, 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. CST
Remedial Project Manager
Jena Sleboda Braun
(where to view written records)
Clark County Public Library
201 S. Fountain Ave.
Springfield, OH 45506
EPA will take surface water, soil and sediment samples in and around the site to evaluate the conditions of the site. The negotiation process for the site is ongoing.
EPA is preparing a negotiation plan package for the Department of Justice who serves as the government's lead representative in negotiations with the Tremont City Barrel Fill site potentially responsible parties or PRPs and will work closely with EPA. When EPA is ready to negotiate, a special notice letter will be sent to the PRPs. The special notice letter gives the PRPs information on why EPA thinks they are liable and EPA's plans for cleanup of the site.
U.S. EPA approved the Record of Decision that outlines EPA’s plan for cleaning up waste and contaminated soil at the Tremont City Barrel Fill site. EPA’s final cleanup plan is to:
- Dig up all contaminated soil and waste from 50 waste cells in the Barrel Fill site
- Consolidate hazardous and non hazardous solid waste and soil in a specially built waste cell on the property
- Move liquid waste to an off-site facility for treatment and disposal
- Construct a cap over the new waste cell
- Slope the bottom of the waste cell to collect and remove liquids
- Build a special underground barrier called a slurry wall around the waste cell along with a liquid collection system
- Monitor ground water
As part of its plan to clean up the Tremont City Barrel Fill site EPA is proposing to dig up all the waste and contaminated soil, separate the liquid waste from the hazardous and non hazardous solid waste, build an on-site waste cell with a liquid collection system, consolidate the solid waste and contaminated soil in the waste cell, and cover the consolidated materials with a hazardous waste landfill cap. EPA invites comments on this proposed plan at a public meeting on Wednesday, June 22, 6:30 p.m. at Northwestern High School, 5650 Troy Road, Springfield. The comment period runs from May 31 - July 30.
- Fact sheet: Excavation, New Waste Cell in Proposed Cleanup Plan (PDF) (8pp, 325K) May 2011
- Long version: Excavation, New Waste Cell in Proposed Cleanup Plan (PDF) (14pp, 177K) May 2011
EPA is planning a proposed plan meeting and public comment period for the Tremont City Barrel Fill site. At the meeting EPA will share details of a cleanup alternative recommended during the 2010 proposed plan comment period. The new cleanup alternative is compared with EPA's earlier recommended cleanup alternative in a feasibility study addendum that is not yet final. A feasibility study describes and analyzes cleanup alternatives for a site. People will have an opportunity to comment about EPA's new recommended cleanup plan through a public comment period and also at a proposed plan meeting.
Photos of Tremont City Barrel Site Activities (PDF) (11pp, 2.6MB) June 2008
US EPA Update on the Progress at the Tremont City Barrel Fill Site (PDF) (12pp, 384K) May 2008