WPSC Two Rivers MGP Site
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (email@example.com)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
312-886-6244 or 800-621-8431, ext. 66244
(where to view written records)
Lester Public Library
1001 Adams St.
Two Rivers, WI
The Wisconsin Public Service Corp. site is located in Two Rivers, Wis., adjacent to the West Twin River. Currently, the majority of the 5-acre former MGP plant is a wetland near the river shore, accessible by water. The former MGP building and other structure foundations are present on the site.
WPSC owned and operated the gas plant from 1925 to 1946 in an area that was historically industrial. Processes included coal carbonization and carbureted water gas.WPSC still owns the site today.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Plans for investigation of sediment, ground water and soil at six MGP sites began after a legal agreement called a consent order was signed between WPSC and EPA in May 2006. This agreement allows for further investigation of the Two Rivers site and will determine how much contamination is there.
The agreement also includes five other MGP sites in Green Bay, Manitowoc, Marinette, Oshkosh, and Stevens Point, Wisconsin. A separate agreement for another site, WPSC Campmarina MGP in Sheboygan, was signed between WPSC and EPA in January 2007.
Under Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources oversight, various investigations have taken place since the 1990s. From 2003 to 2005, pilot tests were done to try a then-promising technology called in-place chemical oxidation to treat contaminated ground water. Routine ground-water monitoring occurs annually.
Manufactured Gas Plants (MGPs)
EPA Region 5 is working on former MGPs in Wisconsin and Illinois.
- Administrative Settlement Agreement and Order on Consent for Remedial Investigation and Feasibility Studies (PDF) (89pp, 8.8MB) April 2006