Congressional District # 02
NUTTING TRUCK & CASTER CO.EPA ID# MND006154017
Last Updated: August, 2012
The Nutting Truck and Caster Site covers 8.6 acres located at 1221 Division Street in the city of Faribault, Rice County, Minnesota. The property is bounded by on the west by Prairie Avenue and on the southeast by railroad tracks. The area surrounding the Site includes properties with residential, commercial, and light industrial uses. All nearby properties are connected to the Faribault municipal drinking water supply.
Between 1891 and 1984, Nutting manufactured and distributed casters, wheels, hand trucks, and towline trucks at this Site. In 1984, the manufacturing operation relocated to Watertown, South Dakota. From 1959 to 1979, Nutting's Faribaut facility used a seepage pit in the west central area of the site to deposit waste and sludges including waste solvents. In response to a 1979 Notice of Noncompliance by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA), Nutting excavated the seepage pit to meet residential soil levels, backfilled it with clean fill and capped the area with concrete. Groundwater contamination was also found to be associated with the property. The property is currently owned by Praire Avenue Leasing Ltd. and is leased for commercial and light industrial purposes. Groundwater beneath the site flows to the northeast.
MPCA is the lead Agency for this Site. The Site is part of an agreement with EPA in which the State handles management and enforcement at the Site.
Threats and Contaminants
Trichloroethylene (TCE) in groundwater was the main contaminant of concern at the Site at the time it was listed on the National Priorities List (NPL) and is currently the only contaminant of concern. During the early and mid-1980's, investigations detected TCE and other contaminants in the shallow groundwater of the glacial outwash formation and the St. Peter Sandstone. This contamination was down-gradient of the former seepage pit. TCE was present at concentrations up to 570 parts-per-billion (ppb).
In the late 1970s, soil sampling was performed at the site under MPCA direction to determine whether non-foundry wastes were disposed of in the former surface depression on the site. The samples showed that the contamination was limited to surface soils and was likely the result of spillage during drum handling. This threat was removed by clean-up prior to listing the site on the NPL. The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) placed the site on the NPL in 1983 due to the remaining groundwater contamination.
In 1984, the MPCA and the potentially responsible party signed a Consent Order to conduct a remedial investigation (RI) at the site and in 1987 these parties signed a second Consent Order for performance of the remedial action (RA). This Consent Order and associated Remedial Action Plan required Nutting to extract groundwater until a concentration of 50 ppb of TCE was consistently achieved in the shallow aquifer at the property boundary. Nutting constructed a groundwater extraction system which began operating in 1987. Two extraction wells were installed: one in the glacial outwash and one in the St. Peter Sandstone. The extracted groundwater was treated on-site using a gravity cascade to remove TCE and other volatile organic compounds and was discharged to the municipal stormwater sewer.
In 2003, the Remedial Action Plan was amended to lower the cleanup level for TCE to five ppb. This is the current MDH Health Risk Limit (HRL) and is considered the concentration in groundwater that can safely be consumed on a daily basis over a lifetime. The federal Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL) for TCE, used in the regulation of public water supplies, is also five ppb. In 2004, the extraction wells were shut down with the approval of the MPCA. Groundwater monitoring continued through May of 2007 and showed that the plume boundaries were stable and contaminant concentrations were continuing to decrease. At that time, TCE contamination in groundwater remained at 16 ppb in the location of former disposal pit. Statistical analysis indicates that contaminant levels in groundwater will continue to decrease through natural attenuation.
In 2008, an Environmental Covenant and Easement was signed to limit use of groundwater at the site which exceeded MCLs. The State has deleted the Site from its Permanent List of Priorities (PLP). EPA will propose the site for deletion from the National Priority List (NPL) after groundwater in the remaining small plume area meets the MCL.
Congressional InterestIn 2011, Senator Amy Klobuchar inquired on behalf of a constituent regarding EPA's plans for deleting the Site from the NPL. EPA responded and will work with the Site owner to find a cost-effective method to continue to monitor groundwater so that the site can be deleted as soon as contaminant concentrations reach health based limits. This is expected to occur through natural attenuation of the small plume that currently remains beneath the site.
Property ReuseThe Site property is currently operated by Prairie Avenue Leasing. The main tenant on the property is JBJ Manufacturing, a welding and machine shop. The former disposal area (now remediated) has been used as a loading dock, and the remainder of the former gravel pit area is largely paved and has been used for parking.
ContactsRemedial Project Manager, U.S. EPA
leah evison (email@example.com)
Community Involvement Coordinator, U.S. EPA
AliasesNUTTING TRUCK & CASTER CO