Congressional District # 07
BOWERS LANDFILLEPA ID# OHD980509616
Last Updated: November, 2013
Site DescriptionThe twelve-acre Bowers Landfill site operated as a pit for gravel excavation operations beginning in 1958, but its owners subsequently converted it to a landfill. At first the landfill accepted only domestic refuse. From 1958 to 1968, it accepted residential, grain elevator, and industrial wastes. Two local manufacturers of chemicals responded to a Congressional inquiry about the site and noted that they dumped approximately 7,500 tons of chemical waste at the landfill. Disposal practices frequently consisted of depositing the waste directly onto the ground and covering it with soil. Waste also was burned onsite. Operations at the landfill ended in about 1968. In 1980, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA) found that contaminants in the landfill were polluting nearby monitoring wells with volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Approximately sixty people live within 1/2 mile of the site.
Site ResponsibilityThis site is being addressed through federal, state, and potentially responsible parties' actions.
Threats and ContaminantsGroundwater onsite contained heavy metals including barium and manganese, volatile organic chemicals (VOCs), and phthalates. Sediments were contaminated with polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), petrochemicals, pesticides, VOCs, and lead. Contaminants in the soil included petrochemicals, lead, and PCBs. Offsite soils contained heavy metals including arsenic, as well as pesticides. Surface water was contaminated with VOCs, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, and heavy metals. Potential health risks existed for individuals who drank or came in direct contact with contaminated groundwater, inhaled contaminated soil or sediment particles, or ate small animals, birds, fish, or plants that were contaminated with chemicals from the site. The area between the landfill and the Scioto River generally floods twice a year, which further contributed to the threat of contaminant releases.
The U.S. EPA studied the nature and extent of contamination at the site from 1983 to 1989. U.S. EPA used the results of this study, along with a study undertaken by the potentially responsible parties (PRPs) , to prepare an analysis of the alternatives for addressing the threat the landfill poses to people and the environment. In 1989, U.S. EPA recommended the following actions at the site to address the contamination problem: remove and dispose of all surface debris in an approved landfill; improve erosion control and drainage; install a natural clay cover over the landfill; install a topsoil layer over the clay cover; protect the cap from flood damage; install a limited number of new groundwater monitoring wells; take samples of the groundwater and analyze them to determine any increases in the level of contaminants; and install a fence to prevent site entry. U.S. EPA began the Remedial Design (RD) in 1991, and completed the Remedial Action (RA) in 1993. EPA developed a new wetlands as part of the cleanup activities. The PRPs settled with U.S. EPA on past cost including oversite costs, the cost of the RD/RA and future oversite costs for Operation and Maintenance (O&M) . Pursuant to an O&M agreement, the PRPs are required to monitor the site to ensure the continued effectiveness of the remedies. All construction at the Bowers Landfill site is complete. EPA deleted the site from the National Priorities List on October 29, 1997.
EPA completed a five-year review of the protectiveness of the remedy in 2002, 2007 and 2013 and concluded that the remedy was performing as designed. Currently EPA is working with the State and a prospective property purchaser to update the environmental covenants to support light recreational use which may be completed by the end of 2013. Monitoring continues at the site.
ContactsRemedial Project Manager, U.S. EPA
dion novak (email@example.com)
Community Involvement Coordinator, U.S. EPA
ISLAND ROAD LDFL