Jump to main content.

Frequently Asked Questions

Pesticide Topics


Questions and Answers Concerning Establishment Registration for Producers, Repackagers, and Relabelers of Pesticides or Pesticide Devices

Disclaimer: This information is intended to be of interest to pesticide producers with company headquarters and/or producing establishments located in EPA Region 7 and is not intended for the general public.

Q. Who must have an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Establishment Number?

A. Anyone who "produces" pesticides or pesticide devices must have a separate number assigned by EPA for each producing location. "Produce" means to manufacture, prepare, propagate, compound, or process any pesticide . . . and active ingredient or device, or to package, repackage, label, relabel, or otherwise change the container of any pesticide or device. This includes bulk repackaging unless the material is used only for facility's own custom application.

Q. Why must an EPA Establishment Number be assigned to each producing facility?

A. Section 156.10 of the 40 Code of Federal Regulations, requires that the EPA Establishment Number of the final establishment in which it was produced must appear on the label or immediate container of each pesticide product released for shipment from the producing establishment.

Click here (http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=041d8f0096739ca01df3de955b4ded14&c=ecfr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title40/40cfrv25_02.tpl) to download 40 C.F.R. Part 156, LABELING REQUIREMENTS FOR PESTICIDES AND DEVICES or Part 167, REGISTRATION OF PESTICIDE AND ACTIVE INGREDIENT PRODUCING ESTABLISHMENTS, SUBMISSION OF PESTICIDE REPORTS, or Part 169, BOOKS AND RECORDS OF PESTICIDE PRODUCTION AND DISTRIBUTION.

Q. How do I obtain an EPA Establishment Number?

A. Contact the Pesticide Branch of the EPA Regional Office which has jurisdiction over your company headquarters' site location for an application. If the main office of your company is located in Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, or Nebraska, even though you may also have satellite locations in other states outside of Region 7, you should contact:

Andrew Kowalski
Section 7 Coordinator
at U.S. EPA Region 7

Our mailing address is Environmental Protection Agency, Region 7, WWPD/TOPE/PEST, 11201 Renner Boulevard, Lenexa, Kansas 66219.. When the main office of your company is in Region 7, Region 7 is responsible for assigning establishment numbers to all sites regardless of the location. However, if your company's main office is located in another Region, you would then need to contact that EPA Regional Office for establishment numbers. For your convenience, we have listed information for all of the Regions at the end of this document.

Q. What is the Annual Report for Pesticide Producing Establishments?

A. Section 7 of the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) requires that each facility that produces and distributes any pesticide or device to complete an annual report, due by March 1 of each year, which lists the names, types, registration numbers, and amounts of pesticide or devices produced or "repackaged" and the amounts of the "produced" or "repackaged" products which were sold during the previous calendar year. Any pesticide producer operating a registered establishment must submit to EPA within 30 days of registration, and annually thereafter, pesticide production reports. IMPORTANT: This does not include reporting the sale of prepackaged or custom applied products.

Q. What happens if I do not return the annual report?

A. Anyone listed with the EPA as an "active" establishment in the Section Seven Tracking System (SSTS) will be sent a reporting reminder each year. Even if you produced no pesticides, you must still submit the report to remain active in the SSTS and to avoid possible FIFRA reporting violations. Failure to submit the report or repeated late reporting could result in the cancellation of the establishment number and/or the possibility of assessed fines.

Q. What if I no longer want or need an establishment number?

A. Contact your Regional Office's Section 7 staff if you wish to inactivate an establishment. Establishment numbers are permanently maintained by EPA and can be reactivated upon request.

Q. How do I change my company name, address, phone number, or other information related to my company's establishment number?

A. Requests for changes should be sent to your Regional Office's Section 7 Staff who will record the information and forward it to EPA Headquarters. Requests intended for Region 7 must be made on Company letterhead and sent to:

Andrew Kowalski
Environmental Protection Agency
11201 Renner Boulevard
Lenexa, Kansas 66219

Below is a list of all EPA Regional Offices, telephone numbers for Section 7 information, and a list of the States within each EPA Regional jurisdiction:

EPA Region 1: CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT

EPA Region 2: NJ, NY, PR, VI

EPA Region 3: DE, DC, MD, PA, VA, WV

EPA Region 4: AL, FL, GA, KY, MS, NC, SC, TN

EPA Region 5: IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

EPA Region 6: AR, LA, NM, OK, TX

EPA Region 7: IA, KS, MO, NE

EPA Region 8: CO, MT, ND, SD, UT, WY

EPA Region 9: AZ, AS, CA, GU, HI, NV

EPA Region 10: AK, ID, OR, WA

EPA Headquarters: Foreign Establishments

Local Navigation

Jump to main content.