Jump to main content or Bold Kids site navigation

Daily Observation Log

Day 6 (August 4, 2009)

Top of Page

Day 5 – Enough activity to fill two days! (August 3, 2009)

Today began dark and early for me, as my alarm went off again at 3:30 a.m. (0330) for my 4 a.m. (0400) sampling shift. I was happy though because this meant I wouldn't miss the sunrise, provided there was one to see! Surprisingly, this shift was actually my favorite as tough as it was to wake up. We arrived on station exactly as the team transition was occurring, and the team before us was nice enough to help as we groggily put on our hard hats and life vests. I looked up at the satellite navigation screen in the lab to see that we were northeast of Boothbay Harbor, Maine.

About an hour and a half later we pulled into an area quite familiar to me! We were approaching the end of Phippsburg, a town even other Mainers sometimes don't know, but where I spent my high school years, and summers during college. Similar to the sampling we did at the mouth of the Merrimack and Saco Rivers, we are also studying the mouth of the Kennebec, which empties between the peninsulas of Phippsburg and Georgetown. As we passed by Seguin Island the fog started to lift, letting light filter through the fog and shine on the surface of the water around us.

We had four stations within minutes of each other, so we were quite busy taking water samples from the rosette to the wet lab, rinsing bottles and starting over again. The entire time I was trying to not be distracted by the curious harbor seals that swam by! Seals love this area, I'm assuming the fishing must be good, or they like playing in the strong currents!

At about 0630 I had called my parents to say we would be sampling by Popham Beach for about 3 hours. If the fog lifted even more, they could probably see us if they drove down, (my parents house is about 15 minutes away). Captain Jere heard that this was my old stomping grounds, and decided that with the spare time we had, there was a perfect opportunity to take us for a scenic spin up to Fort Popham. It was picture perfect! The fog lifted to reveal a bright, grey sky which really made the green islands and sand pop out.

A few early morning beach goers, including my parents and our lab, got a great view of the ship as we brought it in close to the old war bunker at Fort Popham. Luckily the captain warned us to cover our ears before he gave out a blast from the Bold's horn to say "hello". That was our first outside human interaction in days, it was so cool! I still can't believe how lucky I am that it worked out so well, it was so nice of the Captain to do! I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures my mother took with all of us waving from the bow.

After all that excitement we headed in the direction of Casco Bay. I was on break and went to the bridge, (which was my routine at this point, it's where the action is!). I found out when I got there that we were so ahead of schedule, (efficient teams!), Chief Scientist Matt Liebman had decided to go far offshore to an area known as Jeffreys Ledge, to collect more plankton for the New Bedford marine science teachers I'm working with.

It took about four hours to get there, and it was probably the furthest I've ever been out in the open ocean before. The weather could not have been more perfect! The ocean went on as far as your eyes could see, and a lot of us spent the entire day up on the deck watching for dorsal fins. We saw three small dark fins, and spouts that matched those of Minke whales again, but they disappeared quickly. I guess they had places to go! I was hopeful that we would see more throughout the day, but even as slow as we were going our path only crossed those three, much better than nothing!

Matt told me that our plankton tow revealed some cool creatures; juvenile comb jellies, and even a baby lobster! I didn't know before coming on this trip that zooplankton are juvenile crustaceans, fish and other marine invertebrates, cool!

From there it took another couple of hours to head back to the coast near the Merrimack River. My shift was beginning again around 8 p.m. (2000), but we only had to deploy the CTD, no water samples this time around, so the work load was light. After the Merrimack stations we were headed back to Boston Harbor, two days early! To be honest I'm a bit sad it's come to an end so quickly. I had the best time getting to know the rest of the EPA staff and the crew, some of whom I had only been able to meet in passing during some of our open ship events. I was all the more anxious to see a whale, so then we would be required by law to slow down! The Marine Mammal Protection Act says that boats are not allowed to come too close and interfere with a marine mammal; they are supposed to stop until the animal moves along. This helps prevent unnecessary collisions with mammals and boats, and keep humans from harassing them.

I lost track of the time as we came into Boston Harbor, but I went down to help Kate's team with this new round of sampling. By the last day we had really become a synchronized group. If we were awake we were helping each other, which is probably why we got done so quickly, and the weather cooperated too! It didn't take long to become a family out here. While we waited, and drifted, to take samples, I spent a good hour roaming around the ship to get some night photos. I'm planning to put an album on BoldKids showing how the Bold never sleeps! It was quite pretty out with the moonshine on the water. Sometime around 0130 Kate and I made it to bed, sampling wasn't done, but since we had been up for the early shifts that day Matt said we should get some sleep! My bunk felt especially comfortable and I smiled thinking about how much amazing territory we covered today. Those memories, combined with the fresh ocean air all day long, put me fast asleep. :)


Day 5, August 3, 2009 all results mL filtered for chlorophyll
Station Time of CTD drop Depth (meters) Weather / Sea conditions Secchi depth Bottom - depth Mid level - depth Surface - depth
Lat: 43 52.536
Long: 69 13.504
41 51.4 fog, misting, 0 to 1 foot waves, calm dark 46.56 18.33 1.21
GoMoos E
Lat: 43 42.912
Long: 69 21.486
238 88.2 fog, misting, 0 to 1 foot waves, calm not measured - - -
Lat: 43 49.016
Long: 69 31.720
412 55.7 fog, misting, calm dark 52.71 6.8 1.02
Lat: 43 44.480
Long: 69 44.013
635 22.8 thin overcast, calm swells less than 0.5 meters 4.00 20.69 7.37 2.52
Lat: 43 43.830
Long: 69 45.269
706 14.7 overcast, calm 5.00 12.82 6.16 2.16
Lat: 43 44.037
Long: 69 45.643
738 11.5 - 3.25 9.41 2.63 1.5
Lat: 43 44.387
Long: 69 45.963
835 14.8 partly sunny, fog, calm 3.00 14.4 7.74 1.02
Lat: 43 42.498
Long: 69 47.617
910 23.1 partly sunny, fog, calm 2.50 20.6 4.92 1.01
Lat: 43 41.002
Long: 69 49.793
944 33.1 partly sunny, fog, calm 3.25 30.82 4.53 1.1
Lat: 43 39.586
Long: 70 09.623
1137 35.4 mostly sunny, calm 3.60 33.16 4.5 1.18
Jeffery's Ledge
Lat: 43 05.951
Long: 70 02.789
1552 90 to 50 meters sunny, calm 7.00 - - -

Top of Page

Day 4 - Fogged In! (August 2, 2009)

There wasn't much of a sunrise today, (or so I'm told, because despite my best intentions my late night shift got the best of me and I didn't get up until 0700). I knew we were working around the northeastern area of Penobscot Bay today, and I was looking forward to the scenery! As I made my way down to the mess, I noticed through the portholes that there would be a lot of fog to contend with before that was going to happen.

My day shift wouldn't begin until noon, so I spent the early half of my day up on the bridge with the crew as they tensely switched their gazes from the radar and satellite navigation systems to the path of the ship.

We were passing through clusters of islands that the rocky coast of Maine is known for, and it gets tricky real fast with a 224' boat. We had a few "island sightings" in the morning when fog lifted enough to tease us. For a few minutes we could see literally THOUSANDS of orange, pink and white lobster buoys in between us and Merchant and Saddleback Islands. Lobster trap buoys were everywhere. In case you don't know or have never seen a lobster buoy before, each lobsterman has their own color scheme to tell their traps apart. We made our way "down east" past Vinalhaven (which we never saw, but satellites told us we passed it). I did see three seals! I'm not positive if they were harbor seals or grey seals, but Captain Jere knows this area well and suspects that they were harbor seals. It sometimes tough to tell a seal face from a dark lobster buoy, but one was close enough that I could see the fish he had in his mouth through my camera's zoom lens! Where the fishing is good, (and probably the water quality too), there tends to be more seals around.

The fog became so thick we had to send out a loud blast from the Bold about every minute and a half to let other boats know we were coming, even as slow as we were moving, (the Bold's top speed is 11-12 knots) visibility was very low. Back in the bridge we heard a distress call come in from a small vessel lost in the fog. The Coast Guard came on the radio as well to try and get more information and find out if the boat could give its last known location and they determined it was somewhere between Isle au Haut and Stonington. We kept a lookout even though the Coast Guard was in charge of the situation. There is constant communication between boats, especially large ones with more capabilities out here, which is comforting considering in weather like this, it can quickly become quite lonely. Later on I heard from the crew another boat had run aground on some rocks - understandable why the BOLD crew was on their toes.

My noon shift began and it was a busy one! We had 3 stations pretty much back to back, a lot of rinsing and filling bottles with our recently collected water samples.

For the first time during this survey I went to rest in my room afterwards, only to receive a text message from Kate a few minutes later saying there were dolphins off the back deck! Despite sprinting (albeit carefully), I missed them. I haven't gone back to my room since, except when it's too dark to see anything and I have nothing else to do but sleep. I refuse to be anywhere that doesn't have a lot of windows to potentially catch sight of marine animals!

Here's to hoping I get to see dolphins tomorrow. J

Oh I forgot to mention lunch today! It was Todd Lee's birthday, he's a member of the crew and when you take a tour on the inside (if you go on an open house) make sure to compliment him on how spiffy the paint job is, he's been working down the hallway all week. Amanda, one of the ships stewards, made him a birthday cake and smiley face fries!

Before settling in for the night (or at least until my next shift began at 0400), Kate, Regina and I played a few rousing games of cards. Not sure how settled I got, as it was too much fun!

~ Hoping for sunny skies tomorrow, Jeanethe.

Day 4, August 2, 2009 all results mL filtered for chlorophyll
Station Time of CTD drop Depth (meters) Weather / Sea conditions Secchi depth Bottom - depth Mid level - depth Surface - depth
Lat: 44 25.191
Long: 67 48.759
206 29.4 clear, calm with one meter swells dark 24.39 14.61 1.66
Lat: 44 19.868
Long: 68 07.413
423 53.3 clear, calm with less than one meter swells dark 52.26 24.98 2.54
Lat: 44 09.174
Long: 68 30.833
912 23.9 cloudy, cool air temp about 60 degrees F, 0 to 1 foot waves 4.00 22.22 11.02 1.31
Lat: 44 04.475
Long: 68 43.303
1054 42 cloudy, fog, cool, air temp about 55 to 60 degrees F, 0 to 1 foot waves 3.50 37.35 8.99 0.97
Lat: 44 04.017
Long: 68 58.104
1334 31.6 fog, small, less than 0.5 meter swells 3.50 28.86 14.75 1.5
Lat: 44 05.745
Long: 69 00.561
1424 82.6 fog, small, less than 0.5 meter swells 5.00 78.93 41.46 1.23
Lat: 44 06.314
Long: 69 03.233
1506 28.4 fog, small, less than 0.5 meter swells 3.00 24.88 7.16 2.47
Lat: 44 11.910
Long: 69 02.290
1619 18.9 foggy, calm 3.90 14.64 6.06 1.24
Lat: 44 21.890
Long: 68 55.967
1839 64 foggy, calm 2.50 59.91 11.6 2.98
GoMoos F
Lat: 44 03.534
Long: 68 59.951
2119 109.4 foggy, calm not measured - - -
Lat: 44 02.573
Long: 69 00.009
2153 83.7 foggy, calm dark 82.68 44.6 2.04
Lat: 44 58.920
Long: 68 59.218
2247 78.52 foggy, calm dark 77.52 14.17 1.33

Top of Page

Day 3 (August 1, 2009)

0330 a.m. my alarm goes off. It didn't take much to wake up as the rolling waves had me sleeping a little lighter last night. At 0348 I rolled myself out of bed and had to do a bit of a balancing dance to stay upright, get dressed, and not wake up Kate.

As I entered the wet lab to greet the departing team and my group, I could tell the Bold was hauling its way to the next offshore station. The staff and crew hadn't slowed down for a minute all night long.

We were headed "down East" as they say, up along the outer reaches of Penobscot Bay in northern Maine to station R1 -14, about 30 more minutes. Shifts have been light on the sampling as we're working our way through the outer points which are fewer and far between. In a day or so we'll be turning around to work our way down closer to shore, where the work will really pick up.

I found out that the last team had done another plankton tow for our budding marine scientists in New Bedford, MA around midnight. I wonder if they caught anything good? Chief scientist Matt Liebman says that the zooplankton tend to move up in the water column at night, whereas during the day they tend to trade places with the phytoplankton which relies on more sunlight.

Speaking of sunlight, it seemed to come up quickly. Though I have to admit I enjoyed the hour or so of darkness on the deck, it felt a bit special knowing we were doing this work round the clock. We all feel it's incredibly important to study the water that seemingly is far away from the influence of human activity, sadly though we're finding that it's not the case. By gatherinig this data far offshore, we can compare it to the health nearer to the coastline. It is our hope that in future years we can come back and do the same sampling to see if conditions are improving or getting worse. Perhaps you'll be doing this very same work someday!

At 0437 we arrived on station, and we were told the water was about 470 feet deep! We deployed the CTD and rosette water sampler, everything went smoothly. I noticed the water I was bottling from the very bottom was freezing! Now might be a good time to explain that we're taking water samples from three parts of the water column, the bottom, the middle and the surface. I'll explain more tomorrow about what we're looking for to determine where these levels are. Each of the three batches though are filered to catch the chlorophyll, which we carefully contain for analysis at our lab in Chelmsford, MA.

We processed the samples as we took off for station R1-10, about a 5 hour haul away, even further north. To help the next team we cleaned the lab and labeled some extra bottles, I headed to the bridge to get some photos of the rising sun. Once I got there, I promptly decided I wasn't going to miss another sunrise on this trip.

At 0610 I sat up on the bridge with Derek, ordinary seaman and Doug, third mate, to record our latest data results from yesterday and this morning. They told me we were approximately 26 miles offshore and wouldn't have an internet signal until this afternoon. Today's sampling work will consist of a lot of offshore stations, fewer and further between. Sorry guys! Technology still can't help us when we're this far away. In between writing my eyes were peeled on the horizon for those telltale water spouts.

0621 Doug and Derek, turned on the weather report for Captain Jere as he settled in his chair with a fresh cup of coffee. At 0700 I went to wake my roomie, her shift was starting in an hour. I also figured it was a good time to take some sea sick meds to be on the safe side. We were rockin' and rollin quite a bit, even though the seas were relatively calm, the swells were wide.

Before I knew it, I had zonked out with my jacket still on, but awoke to a gentle knock on my door. Even in my groggy state I knew it could only mean one thing! My team leader Ed had come down from the bridge to tell me that First Mate Doug had spotted a spout!

I didn't even tie my shoes (don't try this at home), and ran up the stairs using the walls and handrails because I wasn't totally awake yet. Once I reached the bridge I squinted my eyes onto the horizon and sure enough, about 200 yards off the bow on the starboard side I saw the little, white puff of mist from the whale's blow hole! I got some pictures and used my zoom lens as binoculars. We watched his dorsal fin come up and then disappear into the deep blue. While it was only a glimpse into this whale's solitary travels, I hope it's a sign of more to come today!

That was my first time seeing a whale in the Atlantic Ocean, and after consulting a whale identification book with Doug and Ed, we are fairly positive it was a Common Minke Whale, judging by the shape of the dorsal fin and even the shape of the spout cloud. Not all misty spout clouds are the same!

It's a little past 1000 now, and I'm up on the "steel beach" as Captain Jere fondly calls it. The sun is bright, we seem to be able to see forever to the horizon. Now I can understand why so many early explorers thought the Earth was flat! Did you know that? Believe it or not it took humans a while to figure out that the Earth is round, and because of this you can't see the other side of the ocean, it curves around very, very, gradually, which is one of the reasons you can't see the other side.

Fellow EPA staffer Regina Lyons just joined me, and we traded stories of "sightings" today. Whereas I had been lucky enough to see a Minke whale, she said that as she was leaning over the side of the boat watching the waves, she saw four balloons go by in 20 minutes. Wonder how those got out here? It's so pristine you'd never expect it, but balloons can travel hundreds of miles in the air before they fall back down. These ones were white and silvemylar, maybe they came from a birthday party or a wedding? We were going too fast to grab them, and it sadly tells another story about the ocean these days. We shouldn't see garbage and plastics out here, especially in an area off northern Maine where less people live. Regina said they had started to degrade a little bit, but usually the bits of garbage just break into smaller pieces, especially plastics. They never really go away.

More on the rest of my day later! ~ Jeanethe, "aspiring Second Mate"

Day 3, August 1, 2009 all results mL filtered for chlorophyll
Station Time of CTD drop Depth (meters) Weather / Sea conditions Secchi depth Bottom - depth Mid level - depth Surface - depth
CPEL (Cape Elizabeth)
Lat: 43°33.291'N
Long: 70°10.854'W
0006 30.5 m calm, clear, warm nighttime 350 mL - 27.39 m 250 mL - 7.14 m 250 mL - 1.02 m
R1 - 14 0437 149.1 m !! clouds on horizon, small swells pre-sunrise 500 mL - 149.1 m 750 mL - 62.7 m 500 mL - 2.1 m
R1 - 10 1000 152.2 m sunny, calm, small swells 5.5 m 800 mL - 151.81 m 500 mL - 15.13 m 800 mL - 2.03 m
R1 - 5 1512 210.2 m calm, moderate seas, clear 4.5 m 500 mL - 204.45 m 500 mL - 106.16 m 250 mL - 1.34 m
R1 - 1 1847 130.1 m 4-5' waves, 4-6' swells, clear strong currents 4.0 m 250 mL - 124.63 m 250 mL - 64.51 m 250 mL - 1.65 m
R1 - 2 2133 81.8 m medium swells, clear nighttime 350 mL - 75.96 m 250 mL - 8.35 m 250 mL - 1.96 m
R1 - 3 2342 40.1 m 1 m swells, clear night nighttime 350 mL - 38.42 m 250 mL - 11.12 m 250 mL - 2.15

Top of Page

Day 2 (July 31, 2009)

Day 2 started for me as soon as the sunrise began to peak through the dark blue curtains in our room. I got so excited that I woke right up and took a walk outside in my pjs. Water was calm, and the sunrise was brilliant through the slight morning haze.

After quickly showering (must save water on the boat!), I went down to the mess for a breakfast of blueberry pancakes with Captain Jere. He told me some great tales about the scenery the Bold crew saw in Alaska last year.

Shortly after breakfast we deployed our first set of bongo nets to capture some zoo plankton for a marine educational program in New Bedford, Mass. I was surprised to find the Captain helping with the nets, but he told me he loves to get involved wherever he can! (I think the crew really enjoys playing with the equipment).

Highlight of the day so far? I got to drive the Bold! My partner in crime (Kate Renahan) and I went up to the bridge, and Captain Jere and First Mate Doug showed us the controls, and the navigational computers that make sure we stay on course. We made it! Perhaps I'll be ready to become part of the crew and not go back to the office next week. Oh and we saw some dolphins too! They were swimming about 50 yards away off the starboard side of the bow.

12:00 (noon) came around and it was time to get back to the real science work! We deployed the water sampler and the CTD at 3 stations off Ogunquit, Maine. It poured, but it was a lot of fun getting so wet out there!

Time to go rest, grab some dinner, and get ready for Day 3. My next sampling shift will be at 4 am, yikes!

~Livin' it up on the Bold~ Jeanethe

Day 2, July 31, 2009 mL filtered for chlorophyll
Station Time of CTD drop Depth (meters) Weather / Sea conditions Secchi depth Bottom - depth Mid level - depth Surface - depth
Merr R-5
Lat: 42°45.146'N
Long: 70°32.761'W
0154 92.2 m Calm, clear night shift 500 mL - 88.56 m 350 mL - 17.78 m 350 mL - 1.40 m
Merr R-4
Lat: 42°46.333'N
Long: 70°37.942'W
0245 74.6 m calm, clear night shift 500 mL - 71.03 500 mL - 8.01 m 500 mL - 1.30 m
Merr R-3
Lat: 42°47.662'N
Long: 70°43.089'W
0331 33.8 m calm, and clear night 500 mL - 36.11 500 mL - 16.62 m 500 mL - 0.86 m
Merr R-2
Lat: 42°46.664'N
Long: 70°46.790'W
0409 19.2 m calm, clear pre-sunrise 250 mL - 16.70 m 250 mL - 8.03 m 250 mL - 1.24 m
R1 - 20 0517 12 m calm, clear pre-sunrise 250 mL - 8.77 m 250 mL - 4.58 m 250 mL - 1.52 m
Merr R-1
Lat: 42°50.601'N
Long: 70°47.518'W
0607 23.8 m calm, clear 5.5 m 500 mL - 21.55 m 350 mL - 10.03 m 500 mL - 1.81 m
R1 - 19 0805 21.2 m calm, hazy and warm 6.7 m 500 mL - 23.05 m 500 mL - 10.56 m 500 mL - 0.76 m
CPNE - Cape Neddick
Lat: 43°09.435'N
Long: 70°34.224'W
1003 39.5 m calm, slight swell, hazy, warm 6.0 m 500 mL - 37.10 500 mL - 9.74 m 500 mL - 1.57 m
Ogun - 1
Lat: 43°14.124'N
Long: 70°33.809'W
1053 28.6 m calm, slight swell 5.75 m 500 mL - 26.02 m 500 mL - 9.53 m 500 mL - 1.86 m
Ogun - 2
Lat: 43°14.051'N
Long: 70°32.585'W
1128 32.9 m calm, slight swells, overcast 5.4 m 500 mL - 31.02 m 500 mL - 9.70 m 250 mL - 2.34 m
Ogun - 3
Lat: 43°13.737'N
Long: 70°31.187'W
1211 31.2 m calm, cloudy, drizzle 7.0 m !! 350 mL - 27.92 m 250 mL - 10.68 m 250 mL - 1.03 m
R1 - 17 1252 42.1 m calm, rain 5.75 m 450 mL - 39.01 m 350 mL - 20.64 m 250 mL - 1.87 m
GoMoos B 1426 69.5 m steady rain n/a CTD drop only CTD drop Only CTD drop only
Day 2, second set of results - evening - July 31, 2009
R1 - 18 1558 174 m overcast, calm 6.5 m 1000 mL - 162.27 1000 mL - 9.44 m 1000 mL - 1.06 m
Lat: 43°21.475'N
Long: 70°23.523'W
1823 43.9 m light rain, calm 5.5 m 500 mL - 40.4 500 mL - 5.89 m 500 mL - 0.90 m
Saco - 3
Lat: 43°25.483'N
Long: 70°11.776'W
1948 97.1 m mostly cloudy, calm 4.0 m 500 mL - 94.50 500 mL - 14.16 m 500 mL - 1.65 m
Saco - 2
Lat: 43°26.314'N
Long: 70°14.232'W
2035 59 m moderate seas nighttime 500 mL - 58.03 m 500 mL - 9.34 m 500 mL - 1.57 m
Saco - 1
Lat: 43°27.136'N
Long: 70°16.774'W
2122 43 m moderate seas nighttime 500 mL - 39.6 m 500 mL - 15.06 m 500 mL - 1.28 m
R1 - 16 2200 33.0 m calm, 1- 2' swells nighttime 500 mL - 31.85 m 250 mL - 6.99 m 250 mL - 2.02 m
oob - 1
Lat: 43°29.165'N
Long: 70°17.190'W
  39 m calm, 1- 2' swells nighttime 500 mL - 37.98 m 500 mL - 12.19 m 250 mL - 2.09 m
oob - 2
Lat: 43°31.162'N
Long: 70°15.109'W
2319 35.3 m calm nighttime 500 mL - 32.40 m 500 mL - 11.06 m 500 mL - 1.79

Top of Page

Day 1, Board the Bold! (July 30, 2009)

We all reported to the ship by 10 a.m.. We were brought to our rooms and had a moment to drop off our things before reporting to the dry lab for our safety briefing. We might have done this part outside, if it hadn't been pouring!

Safety suits are interesting to get into. These are big red neoprene suits that can keep you warm enough to survive if you're stranded out at sea. You are supposed to be able to get in one and zip yourself up completely in under 2 minutes, while I was happy with my 1:05 timed attempt, I think I could have done better! The tricky part was trying to get my hood on over my head since it's purposely made to be tight. I made the mistake of putting my arms in the suit first and trying to pull my hood on with muppet-like lips. Check out the twitter feed Click icon for EPA disclaimer.or below for some pics of this!

We then broke into 4 teams of scientists. Each team will work two shifts, for four hours each time. This includes late at night, and before the sun is up in the morning. Work goes on for 24 hours round the clock on the Bold!

I'm on team #3, we lucked out and didn't get the "graveyard shift" this time around. Crews call it the graveyard shift when you're up and working after midnight into the wee early hours of the morning. We'll get to work at about 8:00 tonight (which is 2000 military time, which is what the crew goes by and what I'll be using throughout this blog). For military time which is often used for official government work, the hours until 12:00 noon stay the same, for every hour after that you add 12. For example 1:32 in the afternoon would be 1332 military time. The first shift began at 12:00, (written 1200)

All of the scientists ran through the equipment and procedures, we will be taking water samples with the rosette sampler for most of this survey. For now I'm sitting in the "mess" (ship's dining room and kitchen) taking a break from the sun, and I found that the mess freezer is packed with ice cream!

Next blog entry will be after my shift ends at about midnight - quick what would that be in military time? 2400 (12:00 plus 12) By then I'll be able to talk more about the water sampling we did!

Day 1 Wrap up (July 30, 2009)

The sun set around 7:45, and my first shift began! Sporting a bright orange vest and hard hat, my team helped to deploy the CTD off the starboard side of the Bold just off Cape Ann in Gloucester, MA.

In this first day (and a half day at that) we were able to sample 7 stations! Here our first data sets. Chlorophyll samples are being sent to EPA New England's laboratory on land in Chelmsford, MA.

Stations labeled "R1…" are located on the Captain's Log page. New Stations have the latitude and longitude.

At a bit past midnight, my shift ended and we were on course to New Hampshire's coast. Said, "hello and goodnight" to my roomie who caught the tough shift, she will get back to the room around 4 am.

Wonder what tomorrow will bring!

Station # Time of CTD drop Depth (meters) Weather / Sea conditions Secchi depth Bottom - depth Mid level - depth Surface - depth
R1 24 1425 10.0 m calm, sunny 2.1 m 250 mL - 7.0 (meters) 250 mL- 6 m 250 mL - 1 m
R1 25 1620 21.4 m calm, partly cloudy 3.0 m 250 mL - 18.51 m 250 mL - 5.58 m 250 mL - 0.99 m
R1 23 1754 46.4 m sunny, calm, slight swells 3.5 m 650 mL - 43.14 m 350 mL - 10.0 m 250 mL - 1.17 m
* NEW Station
Lat: 42°34.201'N
Long: 72°40.575'W
1913 29.9 m partly cloudy, slight swells 4.5 m 450 mL - 26.95 m 350 mL - 9.17 m 450 mL - 1.32 m
* NEW Station
GoMoos A
Lat: 42°31.255'N Long: 70°33.950'W
2004 68.8 m partly cloudy after sunset 2.1 m 250 mL - 7.0 m 250 mL - 6.0 m 250 mL - 1.0 m
R1 21 2115 56.4 m calm, mild swells not measured - night 500 mL - 57.69 m 500 mL - 20.03 m 500 mL - 1.32 m
R1 22 2317 85.5 m calm, mild swells not measured - night 450 mL - 81.93 m 250 mL - 9.92 m 250 mL - 1.36 m

Top of Page

Contact the Bold Kids web editor to ask a question, provide feedback, or report a problem.