Region 1: EPA New England
What is Biotechnology?
Biotechnology is the science of modifying the genetic composition of plants, animals, and microorganisms. Historically, biotechnology has relied on conventional plant and animal breeding practices to modify genetic composition. You may have questions about biotechnology: such as how it is regulated, how it was developed and potential future impacts. The links below offer you answer to these questions, and more.
- Regulating Biopesticides
- EPA's Regulation of Biotechnology for Use in Pest Management
- USDA - Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) - Biotechnology
- U.S. FDA / Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
- Biotechnology in Food and Agriculture, Food & Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- National Center for Biotechnology Information