Region 1: EPA New England
Lake Champlain TMDL Schedule
Revised November 2013
Background: EPA disapproved the Vermont 2002 Lake Champlain Phosphorus TMDL on January 24, 2011 and EPA is now obligated to prepare a new TMDL. EPA is collaborating with VTDEC and other Vermont agencies on this endeavor. Below is an updated schedule for the preparation and final issuance of the TMDL.
- Late November, 2013: Post Available TMDL modeling reports and technical support documents.
- December 2 – 11, 2013: EPA, Vermont Department of Conservation, and Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets host public meetings to share information on phosphorus reduction needs and policy options being considered.
- Winter 2013/2014: EPA prepares load and waste load allocations and other TMDL report components.
- Spring 2014: The state works with EPA to provide reasonable assurance measures and documentation to accompany the TMDL.
- Late Spring 2014: EPA issues TMDL and holds Public Comment Period (and subsequently revises TMDL, if necessary, based on public comment).
- Summer 2014: EPA issues final TMDL and transmits to the State to begin implementation.