Region 1: EPA New England
General Fee Information
EPA is allowed to charge fees to the requesters in order to recover the direct costs of search, duplication, and review of requested records. If the total costs of supplying the requested information are less than $14, the fees are waived. If the costs exceed $25, you will be contacted on the actual amount so that you may provide a written "assurance of payment."
If you are aware that the cost of providing the information requested will exceed $14, you may include in your request a statement indicating your willingness to pay for fulfillment of your request. You may also set a cap in giving authorization; if charges will exceed that cap, EPA will contact you to discuss ways to limit the search or to get approval for the full costs. You will be billed when the requested records are sent and have 30 days to remit payment. If the costs exceeds $250, prepayment may be required.
Fees and Fee Categories
Fees charged vary with the status or purpose of the requester. Different fees are charged to commercial users, representatives of the news media, educational or noncommercial scientific institutions, and individuals. Be sure to indicate your category when submitting your request. Fee categories are:
- Commercial Use Requester: One who seeks information for a use or purpose that furthers the commercial, trade, or profit interests of the requester or the person on whose behalf the request is made. Associated Fees: Requester is charged for search, review and duplication costs.
- Non-Commercial Scientific Institution Requester: An institution that is not operated on a commercial basis as that term is defined above and which is operated solely for the purpose of conducting scientific research, the results of which are not intended to promote any particular product or industry. Associated Fees: Requester is charged for duplication costs excluding the first 100 pages.
- Educational Institution Requester: A preschool, a public or private elementary or secondary school, an institution of undergraduate or graduate higher education and an institution of professional or vocational education, which operates a program or programs of scholarly research. Associated Fees: Requester is charges for duplication costs excluding the first 100 pages.
- Representative of the News Media: Any person actively gathering news for an entity that is organized and operated to publish or broadcast news to the public. The term news means information that is about current events or that would be of current interest to the public. Associated Fees: Requester is charged for duplication costs excluding the first 100 pages.
- All Others: non-profit organizations, citizens, etc. Associated Fees: Requester is charged for search time and duplication costs excluding the first two hours of search time and the first 100 pages of duplication.
- Clerical Staff (grades 8 and below): $4.00 per 15 minutes, $16.00 per hour
- Professional Staff (grades 9 - 13): $7.00 per 15 minutes, $28.00 per hour
- Manager’s Time (grades 14 and above): $10.25 per 15 minutes, $41.00 per hour
NO FEE CHARGED IF TOTAL IS LESS THAN $14.00
Bills totaling between $14.01 and $25.00 do not require assurance of payment.
Bills totaling greater than $25.00 require a written assurance of payment from the requester before processing.