NPDES Permits in New England
2005 Remediation General Permit
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
The Notice of Availability of the final NPDES Remediation General Permit (RGP) in Massachusetts (MAG910000) and New Hampshire (NHG910000) was published in the Federal Register on September 9, 2005 (see 70 FR 53663).
The RGP was developed to cover a number of discharges, including from:
- site cleanups activities related primarily to petroleum leaks or spills, (including site cleanups of groundwater contaminated from oil and gasoline);
- site cleanups where the spill or leak is not petroleum-specific (such as sites contaminated with volatile organic compounds and/or metals);
- construction de-watering of contaminated sites (such as at EPA or state-listed contamination sites); and
- de-watering of miscellaneous contaminated sites (such as long-term cleanup of contaminated sumps, and short-term contaminated dredge drain back waters if not covered by Section 401/404 permit, aquifer pump testing to evaluate formerly contaminated sites, well-development or rehabilitation at contaminated or formerly contaminated sites, and hydrostatic testing of pipelines and tanks).
The final general permit is for discharges at sites/facilities located in Massachusetts and New Hampshire and Indian Country lands in Massachusetts. The permit establishes notice of intent requirements, effluent limitations, standards, prohibitions, and best management practices.
- Helpful information - Frequently Asked Questions on the Remediation & Miscellaneous Contaminated Sites General Permit (RGP) (PDF) (10 pp, 124 K)
- Remediation General Permit pages 1-25 (PDF) (25 pp, 385 K)
- Remediation General Permit pages 26-37 (PDF) (12 pp, 81 K)
- Part II Standard Conditions (PDF) (27 pp, 215 K)
- Coversheet for Appendix I (PDF) (1 pg, 13 K)
- Appendix I - Areas of Critical Concern in Massachusetts (PDF) (3 pp, 239 K)
- Appendix II - Endangered Species list (PDF) (3 pp, 118 K)
- Appendix III - Effluent Limitations (PDF) (4 pp, 112 K)
- Appendix IV - Total Recoverable Metals Limitations in NH (PDF) (1 pg, 46 K)
- Appendix IV - Total Recoverable Metals Limitations in MA (PDF) (2 pp, 44 K)
- Appendix V - Notice of Intent Instructions and Suggested Form (PDF) (20 pp, 501 K) This is a downloadable PDF Notice of Intent (NOI) Fill and Print Form.
- Appendix V - Notice of Change Instructions and Suggested Form (PDF) (7 pp, 92 K) This is a downloadable PDF Notice of Change (NOC) Fill and Print Form.
- Appendix V - Notice of Termination Instructions and Suggested Form (PDF) (2 pp, 67 K) This is a downloadable PDF Notice of Termination (NOT) Fill and Print Form.
- Appendix VI - Minimum Levels
and Test Methods for Pollutants Covered by the RGP (PDF) (7
pp, 168 K)
Note: Minor modification of ML (Minimum Levels) for Total Phthalates (Phthalates esthers) see page 4 (row 33).
- Appendix VII - Endangered Species & Historic Properties Process Requirements (PDF) (13 pp, 88 K)
- Appendix VIII - Data Summary Reporting Instructions and Suggested Form (PDF) (2 pp, 27 K)
- Appendix VIII DMR Form (PDF) (1 pg, 156 K)
- Fact Sheet pages 1-90 (PDF) (90 pp, 733 K)
- Fact Sheet pages 91-115 (PDF) (25 pp, 165 K)
- Fact Sheet Appendix A - Existing Water Quality Standards (PDF) (4 pp, 120 K)
- Response to Public Comments on the RGP (PDF) (68 pp, 379 K)
- See the attached file for a summary of the steps associated with applying for and complying with this general permit (PDF) (2 pp, 198 K)