NPDES Permits in New England
Dewatering General Permit (DGP)
Final Dewatering General Permit (DGP)
The Notice of Availability of the Final NPDES General Permit for Dewatering Activity Discharges in Massachusetts (MAG070000) and New Hampshire (NHG070000) was published in the Federal Register on April 20, 2015.
This General Permit replaces the Dewatering General Permit (DGP) that expired on September 30, 2013. The Final General Permit provides coverage for facilities with construction dewatering of groundwater intrusion and/or storm water accumulation from sites less than one acre and short-term and long-term dewatering of foundation sumps into waters of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the State of New Hampshire. The Final permit establishes permit eligibility conditions, notice of intent requirements, effluent limitations, standards, prohibitions, and best management practices. The eligibility requirements for coverage under the general permits are discussed in detail under Part 3 of the draft permit. The reader is strongly urged to go to that section to determine eligibility.
Owners and/or operators of facilities with dewatering discharges, including those currently authorized to discharge under the expired General Permits, will be required to submit a Notice of Intent (NOI) to be covered by the General Permit to both EPA-New England and the appropriate state agency. EPA and the State will review the NOI and the facility will receive written notification from EPA stating whether permit coverage and authorization to discharge under one of the general permits is approved.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
- Federal Register Notice
- Final Dewatering General Permit (PDF) (22 pp, 305 K)
- Appendix I: Areas of Critical Environmental Concern (ACEC) in Massachusetts (PDF) (4 pp, 383 K)
- Appendix II: Summary of Marine Essential Fish Habitat Designations (PDF) (3 pp, 197 K)
- Appendix III: National Historic Preservation Act Review (PDF) (6 pp, 152 K)
- Appendix IV: Endangered Species Act Guidance and Eligibility Criteria (PDF) (9 pp, 436 K)
- Appendix V: Notice of Intent (NOI) Instructions and Suggested Formats (PDF) (9 pp, 205 K)
- Appendix VI: Notice of Termination (NOT) Instructions and Suggested Formats (PDF) (3 pp, 203 K)
- Appendix VII: Dilution Factor Calculations for Massachusetts and New Hampshire (PDF) (2 pp, 98 K)
- Appendix VIII: Test Methods and Minimum Levels for Groundwater Sources (PDF) (1 pg, 117 K)
- Appendix IX – Standard Conditions (PDF) (17 pp, 287 K)
- Fact Sheet (PDF) (19 pp, 330 K)
- Biological Assessment (PDF) (75 pp, 762 K)
- Response to Comments (PDF) (2 pp, 322 K)
Suzanne Warner (email@example.com), 617-918-1383
Notices of Intent
Notices of Intent (NOI) will be posted on this page for a minimum of 7 days after EPA receives them. Please contact Olga Vergara if you have any questions regarding NOIs. See the table below for a chronological listing of NOIs. Older NOIs are listed in the Dewatering General Permit (DGP) NOI archive.
|Date Posted||Date Issued||Date Terminated||Permit Number||Town/City||Name of Site/Facility|
|08/05/2015||South Boston, MA||Conley Terminal Dedicated Freight Corridor (PDF) (38 pp, 2.9 MB)|
|07/29/2015||08/12/2015||Boston, MA||Custom House Block (PDF) (27 pp, 5.2 MB)|
|07/21/2015||08/11/2015||Roslindale, MA||Bank of America (PDF) (45 pp, 1.8 MB)|
|07/21/2015||08/11/2015||Norwood, MA||Bank of America (PDF) (48 pp, 4.3 MB)|
|07/21/2015||Cambridge, MA||Harvard Business School (PDF) (58 pp, 4.7 MB)|
|07/14/2015||07/24/2015||Cambridge, MA||350 E. Kendall F LLC – Kendall Sq. Garage Site (PDF) (42 pp, 3.4 MB)|
|07/14/2015||Claremont, NH||Prompto Oil Change (PDF) (10 pp, 2.2 MB)|
|07/14/2015||07/24/2015||Cambridge, MA||650 E Kendall B LLC Site (PDF) (41 pp, 3.4 MB)|
|07/09/2015||07/24/2015||Boston, MA||Mission Park Garage (PDF) (56 pp, 3.6 MB)|
|06/30/2015||08/12/2015||Brookline, MA||The Growth Companies (PDF) (14 pp, 2.8 MB)|
|06/30/2015||07/08/2015||Ashfield, MA||Ashfield Smith Branch Road Project (PDF) (22 pp, 13.3 MB)|
|06/30/2015||Cambridge, MA||112-116 Mt. Auburn Street (PDF) (102 pp, 5.5 MB)|