NPDES Permits in New England
Noncontact Cooling Water General Permit (NCCWGP)
The Notice of Availability of the draft NPDES Non-contact Cooling Water General Permit (NCCW GP ) in Massachusetts (MAG250000) and New Hampshire (NHG250000) was published in the Federal Register on May 16, 2014.
This general permit is intended to replace the noncontact cooling water general permit that was issued on July 31, 2008 and expired on July 31, 2013. The draft general permit is for discharges of non-contact cooling water to waters of Massachusetts and New Hampshire. The permit establishes permit eligibility conditions, notice of intent requirements, effluent limitations, standards, prohibitions, and best management practices for facilities discharging NCCW. The eligibility requirements for coverage under the general permit are discussed in detail in Part 3 of the general permit.
The public comment period for the draft General Permit ended on June 16, 2014. EPA is in the process of finalizing the Non-contact Cooling Water General Permit.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
- Noncontact Cooling Water General Permit (PDF) (31 pp, 181 K)
- Attachment A: Permit Standard Conditions (PDF) (14 pp, 112 K)
- Attachment B: Example Engineering and Dilution Factor Calculations (PDF) (5 pp, 112 K)
- Attachment C: Suggested BTA Components (PDF) (1 pg, 52 K)
- Appendix 1: Areas of Critical Concern in Massachusetts (PDF) (4 pp, 206 K)
- Appendix 2: Endangered Species Act Review and Requirements (PDF) (9 pp, 241 K)
- Appendix 3: National Historic Preservation Act Review & Requirements (PDF) (3 pp, 174 K)
- Appendix 4: Notice of Intent and Notice of Termination Instructions (PDF) (9 pp, 276 K)
- Appendix 5: Suggested Notice of Intent Format [ PDF (6 pp, 74 K) | Word (6 pp, 25 K) ]
- Appendix 6: EPA, MassDEP, and NHDES Mailing Addresses (PDF) (3 pp, 196 K)
- Appendix 7: Suggested Notice of Termination (NOT) Format (PDF) (2 pp, 38 K)
- Appendix 8: Notice of Change (NOC) Suggested Forms & Instructions (PDF) (7 pp, 190 K)
- Appendix 9: Minimum Levels and Test Methods for Groundwater Sources of Non-Contact Cooling Water (PDF) (1 pg, 78 K)
Helpful Information and Links
- NCCWGP Fact Sheet (PDF) (47 pp, 294 K)
- NPDES NCCWGP Estimated 7Q10 for Certain Massachusetts Facilities (PDF) (3 pp, 118 K)
- DMR Form (PDF) (1 pg, 23 K)
- EPA's Enforcement and Compliance History On-line tracking system (ECHO)
- USFWS Information, Planning, and Conservation System
- National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places web site
- Suzanne Warner (firstname.lastname@example.org), Permit writer, 617-918-1383
- Damien Houlihan (email@example.com), Engineer, 617-918-1586
- John Nagle (firstname.lastname@example.org), Biologist, 617-918-1054
Notices of Intent
EPA will begin accepting Notices of Intent (NOIs) after final permit issuance. NOIs will be posted on this page for a minimum of 30 days after EPA receives them. Please contact Suzanne Warner if you have any questions regarding NOIs. See the table below for a chronological listing of NOIs. Older NOIs are listed in the NCCWGP NOI archive.
|State||Town/City||Name of Facility||Date Posted|