NPDES Permits in New England
Potable Water Treatment Facility General Permit (PWTF GP)
The Final NPDES Potable Water Treatment Facility General Permit (PWTF GP) in Massachusetts (MAG640000) and New Hampshire (NHG640000) was signed on September 25, 2009. The Notice of Availability of these Final PWTF GPs was published in the Federal Register on October 2, 2009. Copies of the Final PWTF GPs, attachments to the Final PWTF GPs, and the Response to Comments, are available from the web links below.
The Final PWTF GP establishes permit eligibility conditions, Notice of Intent (NOI) requirements, effluent limitations, standards, prohibitions, and best management practices for facilities that discharge to waters in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (including both Commonwealth and Indian country lands) and the State of New Hampshire. This general permit replaces the Water Treatment Facility GP that expired on November 15, 2005.
Permittees seeking coverage under the Final PWTF GP, including those facilities covered under the Water Treatment Facility GP that expired on November 15, 2005, must submit a Notice of Intent (NOI) by December 30, 2009. Those facilities covered under the Water Treatment Facility GP that expired on November 15, 2005, that chose not to submit an NOI, must submit an Application for an Individual Permit or a Notice of Termination by December 30, 2009. These requirements are fully explained in the Final PWTF GP.
EPA Contact Information:
Environmental Protection Agency
Office of Ecosystem Protection
5 Post Office Square, Suite 100
Boston, MA 02109-3912
NOI Processing: Olga Vergara (email@example.com), telephone: 617-918-1519
Mail Code OEP06-3
Technical Questions: Shauna Little (firstname.lastname@example.org), telephone: 617-918-1989
Mail Code OEP06-1
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
- Federal Register Notice
- Final Potable Water Treatment Facility General Permit (PDF) (41 pp, 440 K)
- Appendix I: Endangered Species Act Requirements (PDF) (11 pp, 247 K)
- Appendix II: Endangered Species Act: County Species List (PDF) (3 pp, 187 K)
- Appendix III: Historic Properties Requirements (PDF) (3 pp, 109 K)
- Appendix IV: Notice of Intent (NOI) Instructions and Suggested Form (PDF) (5 pp, 84 K)
- Appendix V: Notice of Termination (NOT) Instructions and Suggested Form (PDF) (2 pp, 122 K)
- Appendix VI: Agency Addresses (PDF) (3 pp, 85 K)
- Appendix VII: Dilution Factor Calculations for Massachusetts and New Hampshire (PDF) (2 pp, 102 K)
Helpful Information and Links
- Response to Comments (PDF) (16 pp, 299 K)
- Attachment A: Re-evaluation of Discharge Monitoring Report Aluminum Data (PDF) (6 pp, 115 K)
- Fact Sheet (PDF) (23 pp, 326 K)
- DMR Form (PDF) (1 pg, 23 K)
- USFW Endangers Species web site
- National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places web site
- Shauna Little (email@example.com), 617-918-1989
- Olga Vergara (firstname.lastname@example.org), 617-918-1519
- Kathleen Keohane (Kathleen.Keohane@state.ma.us)
- Amy Clark (Amy.Clark@des.nh.gov)
Notices of Intent
Notices of Intent (NOI) will be posted on this page for a minimum of 30 days after EPA receives them. Please contact Olga Vergara or Austine Frawley if you have any questions regarding NOIs. See the table below for a chronological listing of NOIs.
Older NOIs are listed in the PWTFGP NOI archive.
|State||Town/City||Name of Facility||Date Posted|
|MA||Braintree||Great Pond Water Treatment Plant (PDF) (19 pp, 2.8 MB)||07/31/2014|