NPDES Permits in New England
Remediation & Miscellaneous Contaminated Sites General Permit (RGP)
2010 Final Remediation General Permit
The Notice of Availability of the final Remediation General Permit under the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) for discharges in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (including both Commonwealth and Indian country lands) (MAG910000) and the State of New Hampshire (NHG910000) was published in the Federal Register on September 9, 2010. This general permit, referred to as the 2010 Remediation General Permit (RGP), is effective on September 10, 2010, and replaces the 2005 RGP.
Operators that applied and received coverage under the 2005 RGP must do one of the following:
- re-apply for coverage by submitting a Notice of Intent (NOI) to EPA by December 9, 2010 (no later than 90 days after the effective date of the 2010 RGP);
- submit a Notice of Termination (NOT) to EPA by December 9, 2010; or
- apply for an individual permit. (If you apply for an individual permit, you are not likely to have continuous permit coverage during the processes of application review, public notice and final issuance.)
For facility operators who have not previously filed a NPDES application for coverage under an individual permit or who have never submitted a NOI under the 2005 RGP, follow the Application and Notice of Intent procedures in Part I.B of the 2010 RGP.
The 2010 final general permit continues the requirements of the previous permit, with some changes and clarifications. A summary of major changes is available on this webpage under "Helpful Information and Links".
In reaching a final decision on the permit, EPA responded to all significant comments. The responses are available to the public and are posted on this website under "Fact Sheet and Response to Public Comments".
Notice of Intents (NOIs) and Notice of Terminations (NOTs) may be sent via USPS, email, or fax to EPA at: EPA-Region 1, 5 Post Office Square, Mail Code OEP06-4, Boston, Massachusetts, 02109-3912; email address NPDES.Generalpermits@epa.gov; or fax number (617) 918-0505. Notification information shall be submitted to the appropriate State agency at the addresses listed at Appendix V of the General Permit.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
- Federal Register Notice (PDF) (1 pg, 51 K)
- Final Remediation General Permit for Massachusetts and New Hampshire (PDF) (28 pp, 83 K)
- Part II - Standard Conditions (PDF) (25 pp, 142 K)
- Appendix I – Areas of Critical Environmental Concern (ACEC) in Massachusetts (PDF) (4 pp, 817 K)
- Appendix II - Endangered Species Act: List of Species by County in Massachusetts and in New Hampshire (PDF) (3 pp, 296 K)
- Appendix III - Effluent Limits and Monitoring Requirements by Sub-Category (PDF) (15 pp, 91 K)
- Appendix IV - Chloride & Total Recoverable Metals Limitations (ug/L) at Selected Dilution Ranges & Technology-Based Ceiling Limitations for Facilities Located in Massachusetts and New Hampshire (PDF) (2 pp, 21 K)
- Appendix V - Notice of Intent (NOI), Notice of Change (NOC), and Notice of Termination (NOT) Suggested Forms & Instructions
- Appendix VI - Test Methods and Minimum Levels for Pollutants Covered by the RGP (PDF) (7 pp, 47 K)
- Appendix VII - Guidance for Endangered Species Act Review & National Historic Preservation Act Review (PDF) (17 pp, 77 K)
- Appendix VIII - Monthly Data Summary Form and Instructions (PDF) (4 pp, 61 K)
Fact Sheet and Response to Public Comments
- Fact Sheet (PDF) (57 pp, 155 K)
- Fact Sheet Attachment A - 2005 Remediation General Permit Fact Sheet Excerpts (PDF) (50 pp, 179 K)
- Response to Public Comments (PDF) (18 pp, 64 K)
Helpful Information and Links
- Summary of Major Changes between 2005 RGP and 2010 Draft RGP (available soon)
- Frequently Asked Questions on the 2010 Remediation General Permit (RGP) (available soon)
- Do I need NPDES Permit Coverage for Discharges Related to my Construction Activity and Which General Permits are Available (Flow Chart)? (PDF) (2 pp, 55 K)
Notices of Intent
Notices of Intent (NOI) will be posted on this page for a minimum of seven days after EPA receives them. Please contact Shelly Puleo (firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-918-1545) if you have any questions regarding NOIs. See the table below for a chronological listing of NOIs. Older NOIs are listed in the NOI archive.
|Date Posted / Updated||Date Issued||Permit No.||Date Terminated||Town/City, State||Site Address|
|12/09/2013||12/09/2013||MAG910604||Cambridge, MA||300 Massachusetts Avenue (PDF) (118 pp, 11.1 MB)|
|12/05/2013||12/05/2013||MAG910603||Fall River, MA||Route 79 at Route I-195 Interchange Project (PDF) (427 pp, 8.5 MB)|
|11/15/2013||11/15/2013||MAG910602||Concord, MA||50 Beharrell Street (PDF) (98 pp, 5.4 MB)|
|11/12/2013||11/07/2013||MAG910601||Boston, MA||One Canal (PDF) (108 pp, 10.5 MB)|
|11/06/2013||11/05/2013||MAG910600||South Boston, MA||Seaport Square Parcel A (PDF) (143 pp, 5.4 MB)|
|10/31/2013||11/01/2013||MAG910599||Lexington, MA||Cumberland Farms Store #1286 (PDF) (76 pp, 9.4 MB)|
|10/22/2013||10/21/2013||MAG910598||Brighton, MA||180 Guest Street (PDF) (41 pp, 9.4 MB)|
|09/23/2013||09/20/2013||MAG910597||Medford, MA||Tufts University Central Heating Plant (PDF) (64 pp, 7.5 MB)|
|09/12/2013||09/12/2013||NHG910063||Nashua, NH||CSO Improvements Project (PDF) (63 pp, 6.4 MB)|
|09/04/2013||09/03/2013||MAG910596||Cambridge, MA||165 Cambridgepark Drive (PDF) (121 pp, 26.7 MB)|