Region 1: EPA New England
Serving Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont & 10 Tribal Nations
EPA New England's Smart Growth Program
Smart growth is development that strengthens New England's communities while preserving open space and our working landscapes. Smart growth changes the debate from "growth/no-growth" to "how and where should new development be accommodated?" Smart growth also is an innovative approach to addressing EPA's environmental mandates since current patterns of development - sprawl and urban decay - impose significant environmental costs. Our Smart Growth Program involves working with diverse partners to help shape land use and growth so that it serves the economy, the community, and the environment.
EPA New England's Smart Growth Program is focused on:
- helping EPA programs support environmentally-sensitive development;
- creating smart growth transportation solutions;
- promoting infill and redevelopment;
- encouraging development regulations that promote smart growth;
- supporting state initiatives to implement smart growth.