Jump to main content or area navigation.

Contact Us

Waste Site Cleanup & Reuse in New England

Fort Devens Sudbury Training Annex

Sudbury, Hudson, Maynard, and Stow, Massachusetts
Contacts

Soil Removal
During Construction
Arsenic Removal Area (P-27) During Soil Excavation
Cleanup Completed
After Construction
P-27 Area After Restoration

When EPA talks about reuse of Superfund sites, people often think of commercial or industrial developments. However, in Massachusetts, a unique type of reuse success story is being told, where the Army's former Sudbury Annex has now become a wildlife refuge.

Fort Devens Sudbury Annex - a former military installation located on 2750 acres of land in portions of Maynard, Stow, Hudson, and Sudbury - was established in 1942. It had been used as an ammunition depot, an ordinance test station, a troop training and research area, and a laboratory disposal area. Aside from Army structures and cleared areas, the Annex is mostly undeveloped, with a patchwork of forests and wetlands.

In 1980, the Army began investigations to address potentially contaminated areas. These included a landfill, a former fire training and flame retardant clothing test area, underground storage tanks, a rail yard maintenance area, a pesticide storage area, an ammunition demolition area, and miscellaneous disposal areas. The studies determined that portions of the Annex groundwater contained volatile organic compounds (VOCs), pesticides, and metals at levels above drinking water standards; other areas contained contaminated soil. Due to the contamination, the Sudbury Annex was added to EPA's National Priorities List in 1990. Cleanup activities conducted between 1985 and 2000 resulted in the removal of over 15,000 cubic yards of contaminated soil, removal of over 300 tanks and drums, the capping of the Old Gravel Pit landfill (covering approximately 2 acres), and continued monitoring of contaminated groundwater. The Army conducted this cleanup work under the supervision, and cooperation, of EPA, the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection, as well as a group of concerned citizens who formed a Technical Review Committee. In late 2000, the various agencies and groups joined together to celebrate the completion of all cleanup construction at the site, and to celebrate its future promise. The Army has turned the property over to the US Fish and Wildlife Service and the Sudbury Annex has now become the Assabet River Wildlife Refuge, part of the Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge.

EPA Contact: Christine Williams (williams.christine@epa.gov)
617-918-1384
 
Status:
 
Cleanup completed as of September, 2000.
Other Links: National Priorities List Site Fact Sheet

Area Navigation

Jump to main content.