Waste Site Cleanup & Reuse in New England
Atlas Tack Corporation Superfund Site
Weekly Remedial Activities Update
Report # 1: July 10 - July 14, 2006
1. ACTIVITIES FOR THE WEEK OF JULY 10 - JULY 14
- Mobilize equipment and supplies
- Install survey monuments
- Survey existing conditions in the Commercial Area; interior fence to be removed; delineate excavation boundary limits in the Commercial and Industrial Debris Area (C.I.D.) and Commercial Area
- Protect existing well casings with stakes and high visibility fence
- Remove and salvage interior fence – 420-LF
- Begin to install perimeter fence along the toe of the Hurricane Barrier
- Re-establish swale north of the CID to improve drainage
- Perform clearing activities in the CID and in the areas to have perimeter fence installed
- Installation/repair of silt fence
2. AIR MONITORING INFORMATION
WESTON will monitor for particulate (dust) during intrusive activities performed during this reporting period. WESTON recognizes EPA’s level of concern for “PM10” to caution sensitive groups, including children, the elderly, and people with heart or lung disease, about exposure to coarse dust particles. The PM10 level of concern for sensitive groups is 150 µg/m3 for 24-hour average exposure.
Perimeter Air Monitoring is performed at up to (6) locations throughout a given work day. Readings are collected at 60 second intervals throughout the day and reported as a daily average.
If exceedances are identified, an increased effort of engineering controls (water suppression) will be utilized to adhere to the PM10 level of concern. If engineering controls appear to be inadequate, any dust generating activities will stop. Current dust control practices will be re-evaluated until concentrations are reduced to below the PM10 standard.