Waste Site Cleanup & Reuse in New England
Atlas Tack Corporation Superfund Site
Weekly Remedial Activities Update
Report # 12: September 25 - September 29, 2006
1. ACTIVITIES PERFORMED DURING THE WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 25 - SEPTEMBER 29
- Resume transportation and disposal (T&D) of non-hazardous soil (COMM-97) C.I.D. soils from stockpiles 001 – 003, 008, 009, 010, 012, 013 (Friday-9/29/06)
- Profiles and MSRs complete for T&D to End Cap Technology, LLC - Benson Brook Road Landfill, Marion, MA and NEWS of Worcester – Green Wood Street Landfill, 30 Nipp Napp Trail, Worcester, MA
- Continued mechanical screening activities, screen re-mobilized on 9/27/06
- Placed screened soils in the stockpile staging area for off-site transport
- Continued to excavate the East Fill Area
- Continued stockpile management activities, covering and securing tarpaulins
- Consolidated oversize screened material
- Collected confirmatory soil samples from excavations in the East Fill Area
- Received confirmatory soil samples from the re-excavations performed in the C.I.D.
- Finalize disposal options for the crushed concrete and brick stockpiled materials
- Collected waste characterization soil samples from soils originating from East Fill excavation for disposal profiling for off-site landfill
- Provided survey of post excavation limits in the East Fill Area
- Continued to water the roads for dust control
- Continue with air monitoring program
2. PROJECTED ACTIVITIES FOR THE WEEK OF OCTOBER 2 - OCTOBER 6
- Continue to T&D soils COMM-97, C.I.D.
- Continue with East Fill excavation activities
- Collect confirmatory soil samples from excavations in the East Fill Area
- Perform re-excavation activities along the western boundary of the C.I.D.
- Collect waste characterization soil samples from soils originating from East Fill excavation for disposal profiling for off-site landfill
- Continue to screen soils originating from East Fill Area
- Perform 2nd round of monitoring well water sampling
- Perform additional waste characterization sampling of the failed TCLP stockpiles
- Continue to water the haul roads for dust control
- Continue to collect pre and post excavation survey data of the excavations
- Continue water handling activities
- Continue with air monitoring program
3. AIR MONITORING INFORMATION
WESTON monitored for particulate (dust) during intrusive activities performed during this reporting period. WESTON recognizes EPA's level of concern for "PM10" to caution sensitive groups, including children, the elderly, and people with heart or lung disease, about exposure to coarse dust particles. The PM10 level of concern for sensitive groups is 150 µg/m3 for 24-hour average exposure.
Perimeter Air Monitoring is performed at up to (6) locations throughout a given work day. Readings are collected at 60 second intervals throughout the day and reported as a daily average.
If exceedances are identified, an increased effort of engineering controls (water suppression) will be utilized to adhere to the PM10 level of concern. If engineering controls appear to be inadequate, any dust generating activities will stop. Current dust control practices will be re-evaluated until concentrations are reduced to below the PM10 standard.
Results for 21 September – 27 September 2006 can be reviewed in the table below.
Weekly Dust Monitoring Summary
Week #12: Results for Thursday through Wednesday**
The EPA's PM10 level of concern for sensitive groups is 150 µg/m3 for 24-hour average exposure
|Date||Pleasant Street (µg/m3)||Adams Street (µg/m3)||Tripp Street (µg/m3)||Egypt Road (µg/m3)||Hurricane Barrier (µg/m3)||Church Street 2 (µg/m3)|
All readings reflect the daily average calculated over the course of the workday.
All readings collected with a Thermo Electron PDR 1000.
NSC: No sampling conducted; No intrusive work conducted in that area.
Precip: No sampling conducted due to precipitation.
*: Monitoring conducted over 24-hour period.
**: No work and air monitoring occurs on weekend days
4. QUANTITY SUMMARY
Report # 12 - SUMMARY
|ACTIVITIES||TOTAL QUANTITY||TOTAL QUANTITY|
|C.I.D. Excavation (Re-Digs)||100 CY||6,304 CY|
|East Fill Excavation||2,296 CY||5,544 CY|
|Soils T&D to Crapo Landfill||640 Tons||1,878 Tons|
CY = volume of soil/debris in cubic yards