Jump to main content.

Burn Bans on Indian Reservations in Idaho, Oregon, and Washington

RR Hotline

For questions or to report complaints about air quality on Indian reservations in Idaho, Oregon, or Washington, contact the FARR Hotline at:

M-F, 8am-4:30pm (Pacific)

EPA lifts Burn Bans for the Yakama Reservations

(Seattle--Nov. 24, 2014) The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is lifting the burn ban for the Yakima Reservation. For current burn ban status please call 1-800-424-4372 and ask the FARR hotlineor visit the Federal Air Rules for Reservations (FARR) website at: www.epa.gov/r10earth/FARR.htm.

About burn bans
EPA burn bans apply to all outdoor and agricultural burning, including camping and recreational fires within reservation boundaries. Ceremonial and traditional fires are exempt from the outdoor burn ban.

EPA requests that reservation residents reduce all sources of air pollution, including excess driving and idling of vehicles, and the use of woodstoves and fireplaces unless it is your only source of heat.

Air pollution can have significant health impacts. Cooperation from the community will help people who are at risk during this period. Those most at risk are children, the elderly, pregnant women and those with difficulty breathing and with heart and lung problems. Those at risk should avoid outdoor exercise and minimize exposure to outdoor pollution as much as possible.


Gary Olson (olson.gary@epa.gov), 206-553-0977
Steve Scott (scott.steve@epa.gov), 206-553-0962

To receive burn ban announcements by email, please contact Gary Olson (olson.gary@epa.gov) at (206) 553-0997.

Also check with your local fire department or appropriate tribal agency for any local burning requirements. The Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation, Coeur d'Alene, Nez Perce, and Quinault Tribes have delegation to call their own burn bans. If you live on one of these reservations, please check with the tribe before burning:

If you live outside of an Indian reservation, please contact your state or local air quality agency for more information about burn bans in your area:

Air quality monitors

Local Navigation

Jump to main content.