Serving New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and Eight Tribal Nations.
Workshops and Webinars
For more information about Citizen Science, please contact:
2014 Citizen Science Workshop in Puerto Rico
- SEPTEMBER 11 & 12, 2014 – SAVE THE DATE – Join us for 2 days of Caribbean Science workshops [PDF 202 KB, 1 pp]
- 11 & 12 DE SEPTIEMBRE DE 2014 – SEPARA LA FECHA – Únase a nosotros para 2 días de talleres sobre Ciencia en el Caribe [PDF 202 KB, 1 pp]
*Registration Opens August 4, 2014
Past Workshops and Presentations
Leveraging Environmental Monitoring - Key Steps in Producing Credible Data Training
April 16, 2013 in NYC//April 17, 2013 in Edison//May 8, 2013 in Buffalo
One of the biggest issues Citizen Scientists face is getting their data taken seriously by regulators and industry. As follow-on to our successful 2012 Citizen Science Workshops, EPA Region 2 presented a day of training and discussions with federal and state regulators in New York City; Edison, New Jersey; and Buffalo, New York. The session included presentations on the EPA Region 2 Citizen Science Program, Project/Study Design, Streamlined Quality Assurance Project Plans, Measurement Uncertainty, Using New Sensor Technologies for Air Monitoring; as well as presentations from New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC); New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP); the University of Buffalo; and a Roundtable Discussion with federal/state regulators as well as an opportunity for one-on-one discussions with the regulators.
- Pat Sheridan - EPA Region 2/DESA – Region 2 Citizen Science Overview [PDF 3.1 MB, 14 pp]
- Paula Zevin - EPA Region 2/DESA – Project/Study Design and You – Perfect Together [PDF 529 KB, 28 pp]
- Donna Ringel - EPA Region 2/DESA – Quality Assurance and Citizen Science [PDF 1.5 MB, 24 pp] | Guidelines for the Development of Quality Assurance Project Plans for Citizen Science Projects [PDF 989 KB, 25 pp]
- Avraham Teitz – EPA Region 2/DESA – Ambient Air Monitoring: Measurement and Uncertainty [PDF 4.1 MB, 56 pp]
- Ron Williams - EPA/Office of Research and Development (ORD) – Why Sensor Performance Matters [PDF362 KB, 20 pp]
- Dirk Felton – NYSDEC – Issues to Consider When Designing a Monitoring Program [PDF 780 KB, 25 pp]
- Randi Walker – NYSDEC – Community Air Screen Program Lessons Learned [PDF 1.5 MB, 16 pp]
March 13, 2013
The first Citizen Science Program Webinar on the MyEnvironment GIS application was held on March 13, 2013. An overview of both the Region 2 Citizen Science Program and MyEnvironment, along with a demonstration of the geospatial tool was presented to federal, state, NGOs, community groups and citizen scientists. MyEnvironment provides immediate access to a cross-section of environmental data for any geographical location in the U.S.
EPA Region 2 Citizen Science Workshops
June 19, 2012 @ NYC//June 20, 2012 @ Edison
Region 2 held two Citizen Science Workshops in the Regional offices in June 2012. The first of its kind, the Citizen Science Workshops brought together over 250 federal, state, local governments, academic, citizen and community based groups to advance the use of citizen science monitoring in community environmental and public health protection. Session topics included how to start a citizen program; funding sources; community and government /academic partnerships; success stories for both air and water; data interpretation and use; the future of monitoring technologies and a demonstration of current and emerging tools. The workshops provided an opportunity for interaction and information sharing among this highly diverse group of speakers. Presentations covering the workshop topics may be found at the links below.