Serving New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and Eight Tribal Nations.
Linking Environmental Resources with Transportation Planning Webinar Series
Promoting "Sustainable Communities"
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and EPA will co-host a webinar series to share information about available resources and existing programs to facilitate the linking of conservation with transportation planning. The webinars are designed to assist the Departments of Transportation (DOTs) of New York, New Jersey, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands and the State Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs).
The overarching goal is to enable DOTs, MPOs, and other transportation entities in Region 2 to go beyond environmental compliance to create livable and sustainable community projects—without compromising projects’ economic viability. Proposed objectives include defining and encouraging best practices in the below sustainability areas as they relate to transportation planning projects.
Webinar Series Goals
- Provide guidance, information, and examples of ways to transportation and conservation planning.
- Provide an opportunity for transportation and conservation professionals to collaborate and understand each other’s goals and challenges.
- Discuss the DOTs and MPOs transportation planning and environmental resources processes.
- Identify opportunities for additional integration of transportation and conservation planning.
- Build strong relationships between transportation and conservation planning agencies for the future.
- Build upon and further the goals and objectives outlined in the HUD-DOT-EPA “Sustainable Communities” Partnership, which works to provide more transportation choices, support existing communities, coordinate policies and leverage investment, and value communities and neighborhoods.
For additional information, please see FHWA and USDOT's Planning and Environment Linkages Program: A Guide to Measuring Progress in Linking Transportation Planning and Environmental Analysis. Please also visit EPA's Sustainable Communities Web site.
Past Webinar Topics
- NEPAssist: An Innovative Screening Tool [666 KB, 1pg] (January 20, 2010)
- Green Highways and Green Streets [2.6 MB, 78 pp] (March 3, 2010)
- Low Energy Communities [5.7 MB, 48 pp] (March 31, 2010)
- Sustainable Stormwater Infrastructure for Green Highways [7.4 MB, 71 pp] (April 28, 2010)
- Leadership In Transportation and Environmental Sustainability (NYS DOT GreenLites Program, etc.) [2.2 MB, 35 pp] (May 19, 2010). Audio recording of webinar [24 MB, 51:37]
- Livability and Transportation: How Do You Make It Happen (July 28, 2010) [5 MB, 87 pp]. Audio Recording [24 MB, 53:59]
- More to come