Dredged Material Management Program
The Dredged Material Management Team is comprised of scientists of various disciplines whose mission is to support environmentally responsible dredged material planning and management.
Our major goals include:
- establishing environmentally sound, economically feasible dredged material disposal alternatives.
- maintaining the contribution of the Region's waterways to the economy and quality of life of the region.
- improved dredged material management plans for the Region.
- evaluating and implementing, where practicable, alternative methods of dredged material disposal including those with beneficial uses such as habitat restoration, landfill cover, etc.
- determining, and where practicable, using the best available technologies/methods for dredging and disposal.
- remediating/restoring , whenever possible, areas of the New York/New Jersey Bight Apex which have been adversely impacted by earlier dredged material disposal activities. This includes the Historic Area Remediation Site (HARS).
- stringent enforcement of all laws and regulations pursuant to dredged material disposal.
The Dredged Material Management Team is the primary group at Region 2 for the oversight of the following Dredged Material programs or program aspects:
- sampling, testing and evaluation of dredged material proposed for disposal
- evaluation of alternatives to dredged material disposal
- beneficial uses of dredged material
- decontamination technologies
- dredged material disposal site designation
- dredged material disposal site management and monitoring
- remediation of the Historic Area Remediation Site
- enforcement of all statues and regulations pertaining to dredged material disposal.
Geographically, the Team's responsibility covers all waters within or adjacent to the States of New York and New Jersey, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. This includes, but is not limited to the Atlantic Ocean, the New York/New Jersey Harbor complex, Raritan Bay, Delaware Bay, Long Island Sound, the Great Lakes (Erie and Ontario), San Juan Harbor, and the Caribbean Sea.