Quality Assurance Flier
The primary goal of the Region's Quality Management System (a.k.a. quality assurance program) is to ensure that environmental data activities performed by or for the Region will result in data of adequate quality to support the Agency's scientific decisions or actions. For this data to be used with a high degree of certainty, its quality must be known and documented. This goal will be achieved by ensuring that appropriate resources are made available and proper procedures followed throughout the planning, implementation and evaluation phases of each environmental project. This factsheet highlights some of the important aspects of Region 3's Quality Management System.
Region 3 Quality Policy
It is Region 3 policy that all environmental data and information collected and/or used for decision-making are of known quality, suitable for its intended use, with all aspects of collection and analysis thoroughly documented; such documentation being verifiable and defensible. This policy applies to all data collected for environmental operations, including environmental technology activities, performed directly by or for the Region. This includes all Federal, State, Tribal and local partners under interagency and financial assistance agreements; contractors funded by EPA; regulated entities and potentially responsible parties.
Quality Assurance Staff Expertise
- QA document preparation and review (e.g., Quality Management Plans, Quality Assurance Project Plans, Sampling Plans, etc.)
- Expert assistance on QA/QC policies, procedures, and requirements
- Review/advice on quality requirements for contracts, grants, and interagency agreements
- Assistance with environmental project planning
- Selection of laboratory and field analytical methods
- Data validation and usability
- Data interpretation and assessment
- Quality system and technical assessments of laboratory and field activities (e.g., audits)
- Training in all of the above
Region 3 QA Manager
Terry Simpson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Region 3 QA Staff
Charlie Jones (email@example.com)
Fort Meade, Md.
Mike Mahoney (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Ed Messer (email@example.com)
Offices We Assist
- Philadelphia, Pa.
- Fort Meade, Md.
- Annapolis, Md.
- Wheeling, W.Va.
QA on the Web
The Quality System PIE
- Planning — Developing sampling network design, generation of appropriate data quality indicators, selection of measurement and analytical methodologies, standard operating procedures
- Implementation — Just do what you planned!
- Evaluation — Using review, audit and assessment tools to determine whether environmental data operations comply with EPA Quality Assurance Policy
If your project involves environmental data, as defined here, you need QA.
Environmental Information or Data is Defined as . any measurements or information that describe environmental processes, location, or conditions; ecological or health effects and consequences; or the performance of environmental technology. For EPA Region 3, environmental information also includes data compiled from other sources such as data bases or literature or produced from models.
|Region 3 QA Coordinators|
Representative / Alternative
|Air Protection Division||Chris Pillafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Chesapeake Bay Program Office||Rich Batiuk
Mary Ellen Ley
|Environmental Assessment and
|Hazardous Site Cleanup Division||Jeff Tuttleemail@example.com|
|Land and Chemicals Division||David Friedmanfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Office of Enforcement, Compliance
and Environmental Justice
|Office of Policy & Management||Norman Rodriguezemail@example.com|
|Water Protection Division||Larry Merrillfirstname.lastname@example.org|