Indoor Environments and Radon
Indoor Air Quality:
- Event: EPA's National Asthma Forum
Date: June 17-18, 2010
Location: Washington, D.C.
Web site: http://www.epaasthmaforum.com
Additional Information: Take action to deliver high-quality, comprehensive asthma care in your community! Join asthma leaders from across the nation to share the most effective strategies for managing asthma and achieving positive health outcomes.
- About Asthma - Triggers, Facts and FAQs - Asthma is a serious, sometimes life-threatening respiratory disease that affects the quality of life for millions of Americans. Although there is no cure for asthma yet, asthma can be controlled through medical treatment and management of environmental triggers. EPA is committed to educating all Americans about asthma so that everyone knows what asthma is, how the environment can affect asthma patients and how to manage environmental asthma triggers.
- Indoor Environment Asthma Triggers - Secondhand Smoke - Secondhand smoke can trigger asthma episodes and increase the severity of attacks. Secondhand smoke is also a risk factor for new cases of asthma in preschool aged children who have not already exhibited asthma symptoms. Scientists believe that secondhand smoke irritates the chronically inflamed bronchial passages of people with asthma. Secondhand smoke is linked to other health problems, including lung cancer, ear infections and other chronic respiratory illnesses, such as bronchitis and pneumonia.
- The Inside Story: A Guide to Indoor Air Quality - This is our most popular and comprehensive publication on the subject of Indoor Air Quality. It describes sources of air pollution in the home and office, corrective strategies, and specific measures for reducing pollutant levels.
- Should You Have the Air Ducts In Your Home Cleaned? - The guide explains what air duct cleaning is, provides guidance to help consumers decide whether to have the service performed in their home, and provides helpful information for choosing a duct cleaner, determining if duct cleaning was done properly, and how to prevent contamination of air ducts.
- Ozone Generators That Are Sold As Air Cleaners - The purpose of this document is to provide accurate information regarding the use of ozone-generating devices in indoor occupied spaces.
- Fact Sheet: Residential Air Cleaners - Indoor Air Facts No. 7 - Discusses air cleaning as a method of reducing pollutants in indoor air. Lists types of air cleaners for the home, factors to consider in selecting an air cleaner, and sources of additional information.
- Targeting Indoor Air Pollution: EPA's Approach and Progress - Summarizes the relationship between indoor air quality and health, EPA's program and approach for dealing with indoor air pollution, and authorizing legislation.
- More Indoor Air Publications
- More Information on Indoor Air
- State Indoor Air Contacts
- A Citizens Guide to Radon - The Guide to Protecting Yourself and Your Family from Radon. Also Available in Spanish
- A Consumers Guide to Radon Reduction - How to reduce radon levels in your home.
- Home Buyer's and Seller's Guide to Radon
- Radon in Schools - Every school should take this simple test.
- A Physician's Guide to Radon - The purpose is to enlist physicians in the national effort to inform the American public about the serious health risk posed by indoor radon gas.
- A Radon Guide for Tenants - The guide, for people who rent their apartments or houses, explains what radon is, and how to find out if there is a radon problem in your home.
- Radon-Resistant New Construction
- More Radon Publications
- More Information on Radon
- State Radon Contacts