Cavenham Forest Industries, LLC
FOIA Request Status
- Community Fact Sheet, Number 1 (U.S. EPA; August 2013): This first overall 2-page fact sheet describes the facility cleanup work being conducted at the Cavenham Forest Industries, LLC. The cleanup work has been designed to meet the local needs to protect human health and the environment. Both the roles of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Corrective Action program and the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) program which are providing environmental oversight are described. An update on recent progress being made under the EPA Corrective Action Program is outlined and key contacts are provided. The Fact Sheet announces the renewal of a significant EPA permit which allows for public comment for forty-five (45) days, starting August 23, 2013.
- EPA Draft Permit Fact Sheet (U.S. EPA; August 23, 2013): A 6-page Fact sheet focuses on describing the latest 10 year renewal for the draft EPA Hazardous and Solid Waste Amendments (HSWA) permit. This document includes: the official public notice for the comment period; a facility background; regulatory history; and summary of investigations/cleanup, as well as outlines the permit requirements. It states how citizens may choose to provide comments within the eligible timeframe. Refer to next reading room item, which is the 75-page draft permit itself for more details.
- Draft HSWA Permit (U.S. EPA, August 23, 2013): This draft permit is presented for the public and industry to review and comment upon for the forty-five (45) days between August 23, 2013 and October 7, 2013. This permit was originally shared at the public meeting held on August 20, 2013 in Gulfport, MS. The permit (75 pages) covers standard conditions, corrective action and includes figures and appendices.
- Work Plan for Remedial Measures [Environmental Management Services, Inc. (“EMS”); September 14, 2011]: This work plan (571-pages) is called the “SWMU-3-1 and 3-4 Control and Containment Design Report” was written to be in compliance with new FEMA requirements that the design must not create any positive change in the 100 year flood elevation. As such, this report replaces an earlier report (May 22, 2009) which was revised and updated. The report describes the conceptual design and rationale for the control and containment of releases from two areas on-site of the Cavenham Forest Industries facility. The report includes: current conditions; measures; alternative measures; project management and construction/implementation.
- Human Health Risk Assessment (Center for Toxicology and Environmental Health, September 2012): This report (292-pages), required under the EPA RCRA Corrective Action Program, reviews and evaluates surface water, sediment, and fish data to determine possible chemicals that pose a human health concern. It also assesses current and potential future exposure scenarios and quantifies the potential risk and hazard to human health. The report includes: data evaluation, exposure assessment, toxicity assessment and risk characterization and uncertainties analysis.
- Aquatic Wildlife Screening Level Exposure Evaluation (EMS; December 2010) and Mammalian and Avian Wildlife Screening Level Exposure Evaluation (EMS; December 2010): The first report (14-pages) presents the methodology and results of the ecological risk assessment for benthic invertebrates and fish in Turkey Creek near the target facility. The second report (21-pages) presents the ecological risk assessment for higher level organisms (bird and mammalian receptors), using the raccoon and Great Blue Heron as indicator species.
- EPA Approval Letter for Human Health Risk Assessment (October 2012) and EPA Approval Letter for Ecological-Related Risk Assessments; March 2011): The EPA approval letters for the human health risk assessment (2-pages) and ecological risk assessments (2-pages) provides feedback to the regulated facility, Cavenham Forest Industries, that these reports were acceptable.
- RCRA Facility Presentation and EPA Presentation #1 and EPA Presentation #2 given to the adjacent host community of the Cavenham Forest Industries on August 20, 2013, Gulfport, MS. The first presentation (86-slides), provided by Environmental Management Services (contractor to Cavenham Forest Industries) covers work progress being undertaken with respect to the corrective action. The other two presentations (17-slides and 21-slides) given by EPA’s Corrective Action Program, covers background, EPA’s perspective on the draft permit and a photography slideshow of facility conditions in 1987. All three community presentations were conducted at the Good Deeds Community Center in Gulfport on August 20, 2013, after public notifications and invitations were issued.
For information about the contents of this page please contact Lawana Woodard