RCRA Community Engagement Outreach related to Walter Coke, Inc. Facility
- Voluntary Investigation and Cleanup Report for Hudson School (June 17, 2011): The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) completed its review of the Voluntary Investigation and Cleanup Report for Hudson School, dated June 17, 2011, (Report), submitted from Walter Coke Inc., Birmingham, Alabama. In cooperation with EPA’s RCRA Corrective Action Program, Walter Coke, Inc. agreed to assist EPA in its investigation of certain constituents in soil at the school properties near their facility. The Report provided details of the soil investigation and remedial activities at Hudson School which took place during July 13- 28, 2009 (2009 sampling event) and later on August 31 to September 1, 2010 (2010 sampling event) after construction of the new Hudson School was completed. School soil remediation work described in the Report was completed by Walter Coke, Inc on June 8, 2011.
- EPA Powerpoint Presentation (May 19, 2011): EPA RCRA Program conducted this talk at Public Forum at Hudson K-8 School between 4:00pm and 9:00pm; about 300 people attended.
- Environmental Basics and Community Empowerment Workshop (July 9, 2011): This workshop was coordinated by the Technical Assistance Services for Communities program, a contractor to EPA. Refer to Agenda, Presentation and Workbook.
- Hudson School September 2010 Sampling Report and Map: This report shows sampling data for the new Hudson School (as submitted by Walter Coke, Inc, prepared by its contractors).
- Walter Coke Residential Soil Remedial Action Work Plan ("RAWP", Final, June 2011): As this work plan describes, "The overall purpose of this project is to cooperate with EPA to eliminate potential residential exposure in 31 yards (including garden and drip line location) within 23 properties where surface soil concentrations were found to exceed EPA’s established cleanup levels of 37 ppm for arsenic and 1.5 ppm for BaP TEQ during the 2009 sampling event. "
- Walter Coke RAWP Progress Reports: These reports outlines progress being made under the residential soil remedial work plan (RAWP). #1, July 15, 2011; #2, August 19, 2011
- Walter Coke Residential Cleanup -- Health and Safety Plan (CH2MHILL, Contractor): This health and safety plan was submitted to the EPA RCRA program on July 15, 2011 by Walter Coke.
- Walter Coke Residential Cleanup -- Safety Manual (Moore, Contractor): This safety manual was submitted to the EPA RCRA program on July 15, 2011 by Walter Coke.
- EPA Letter to Birmingham City Schools Superintendent (August 4, 2011): This letter shares EPA assessment on the voluntary investigation and cleanup of the Hudson K-8 School by Walter Coke, Inc.
- EPA Letter to Walter Coke re: Hudson K-8 School Remediation (August 4, 2011): This letter shares EPA assessment on the voluntary investigation and cleanup of the Hudson K-8 School by Walter Coke, Inc.
- EPA Press Release on Hudson K-8 School (August 5, 2011): EPA announced its completion of its review of the voluntary investigation and cleanup report for the Hudson K-8 School submitted by Walter Coke Inc.
- Birmingham City School Superintendant letter to Hudson K-8 Parents (August 15, 2011): This letter, written by the school district with the assistance of the EPA RCRA program, explains the soil cleanup work that was completed on the school yard.
- EPA Fact Sheet, Number 3 (January 2012): Announcement of RCRA Corrective Action Program negotiating an Administrative Order on Consent (AOC) with Walter Coke, Birmingham, AL.
- EPA Administrative Order on Consent (AOC) with Walter Coke, Inc. (Effective Date: September 24, 2012): The Environmental Protection Agency issued a new Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Section 3008(h) Administrative Order on Consent (Order) to the Walter Coke facility located in North Birmingham, Alabama. The 50-page Order is posted here, as well as the accompanying Attachment B, Maps of the Proposed Solid Waste Management Areas (SMAs) (6 pages) which detail the areas of focus for this Order.
For additional information regarding the North Birmingham Environmental Collaboration Project:
- EPA Fact Sheet, Number 4 (October 2012): Announcement of RCRA Corrective Action Program finalizing an Agreement with Walter Coke, Birmingham, AL.
Pages [Prev] 1 2 3 [Next]
For information about the contents of this page please contact Lawana Woodard