Walcotte Chemical Co. Warehouses
Site Summary ProfileEPA ID: MSD980601736
Location: Greenville, Washington County, MS
Lat/Long: 33.411000, -091.053800
Congressional District: 02
NPL Status: Proposed:10/23/81; Deleted: 12/30/82
Affected Media: Debris
Cleanup Status: Deleted from the NPL
Human Exposure Under Control: Yes
Groundwater Migration Under Control: NA – This is not a ground water site
Sitewide Ready for Anticipated Use: No
Site Reuse/Redevelopment: Not in use – potential for future commercial or residential uses
Site Manager: Michael Arnett (email@example.com)
Current Site Status
The Walcotte Chemical Co. Warehouses site includes the area where a chemical and fertilizer mixing plant operated from 1953 until the early 1960s. EPA proposed the site to the National Priorities List (NPL) in 1981 because contaminated materials resulting from facility operations. EPA, the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) and the site’s potentially responsible parties (PRPs) have investigated site conditions and taken steps to clean up the site in order to protect people and the environment from contamination. Site contamination does not currently threaten people living and working near the site. By removing contaminated materials, EPA, MDEQ and the site’s PRPs have protected people and the environment from site contamination.
The 1-acre site is located in Greenville, Washington County, Mississippi. Commercial businesses surround the site.
The site includes warehouse facilities where a fertilizer and chemical mixing plant operated from 1953 to the early 1960s. In the 1960s, the plant closed and the owner abandoned the property.
In 1981 EPA proposed the site to the NPL. EPA deleted the site from the NPL in 1982 following the completion of cleanup activities.
Site investigations found contamination in debris material abandoned at the site that could potentially harm people in the area. Contamination at the site resulted from abandoned drums of chemicals. Contaminants of concern included formic acid, various pesticides and volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
Investigation and Cleanup Responsibility / Oversight
The site’s PRPs led site cleanup activities, with oversight provided by EPA and MDEQ.
Site Cleanup Plan
Site cleanup activities included identifying, containing and removing contamination for disposal at an appropriate off-site facility.
In 1981, EPA identified approximately 225 drums containing hazardous materials at the site. Under EPA and MDEQ oversight, site PRPs secured the abandoned chemicals and shipped them to an approved off-site landfill in 1982, effectively addressing all contamination at the site. Site contamination does not currently threaten local residents living and working near the site. EPA deleted the site from the NPL in 1982.
EPA did not negotiate legal agreements with the site’s PRPs.
EPA worked with the community and its state partner to develop a long-term cleanup plan for the site, reflecting the Agency’s commitment to safe, healthy communities and environmental protection. Community engagement and public outreach are core components of EPA program activities.
EPA conducted a range of community involvement activities to solicit community input and to make sure the public remains informed about site activities throughout the cleanup process. Outreach efforts have included public notices and information meetings.
EPA and MDEQ determined that site PRPs completed all required cleanup activities.
EPA does not require Five-Year Reviews for the site.
EPA does not have an information repository for the site.