Ashland/Northern States Power Lakefront Site
Community Involvement Coordinator
Patricia Krause (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-9506 or 800-621-8431, ext. 69506, 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. CST
Remedial Project Manager
Scott Hansen (email@example.com)
312-886-1999 or 800-621-8431 Ext. 61999
Wisconsin DNR Site Coordinators
Jamie Dunn (firstname.lastname@example.org)
John Robinson (email@example.com)
Health Risk Advisor
Henry Nehls-Lowe (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Wisconsin Dept. of Health Services
(where to view written records)
Vaughn Public Library
502 W. Main St.
For hours of operation, call 715-682-7060
DNR Spooner Service Center
810 West Maple St.
To make an appointment call:
Bad River Public Library
Norma Soulier, Librarian
P.O. Box 39
100 Maple St.
For hours of Operation call:
715-682-7111, ext. 1532
Red Cliff EPA Office (Fish Hatchery)
88385 Pike Road, Hwy 13 (mailing address)
86395 Hwy 13, Brood Stock Building
Contact: 715-779-3650 to make an appointment.
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources(WDNR) has a website about the Ashland/NSP Lakefront site as well.
Wisconsin Department of Health Services has general health information.
The Ashland/Northern States Power Lakefront site sits on the shore of Chequamegon Bay, Lake Superior, in northern Wisconsin. The site actually is made up of several properties including those owned by Northern States Power Company of Wisconsin (d/b/a Xcel Energy), Canadian National Railroad and City of Ashland. Ten acres of contaminated lake sediment just off-shore is also part of the Superfund site. Ground water underlying the site and an adjacent residential area is contaminated, as is soil at the site. (more background information...)
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
If you have questions about the cleanup plans for the Ashland/NSP Lakefront site please use this form.
You can read more details in Community Update About Cleanup Plans (PDF) (4 pp, 2.34MB)
Phase 1 work, soil and groundwater cleanup under the former gas plant and Kreher Park, will begin this spring and go through early 2015. A wet dredge pilot study in Chequamegon Bay will be conducted this fall.
Residents in the area of the cleanup will be informed of the project schedule and activities planned in 2014 at an information session scheduled for 6 p.m. Monday, March 24 at the Social Hall of Our Lady of the Lake Church.
Cleanup work in the area under the former gas plant and at Kreher Park west of the current RV park will involve soil removal followed by covering the area with clean material. Groundwater barriers will be installed to stop groundwater from moving and areas will be capped to limit rain and snowmelt from seeping through the ground and carrying the pollutants the Bay. A containment structure will be built along the shoreline and groundwater within the contained area will be treated before discharging to the Bay.
Previous site updates
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- EPA to Hold Public Meeting to Discuss Cleanup Plan for Ashland (October 2010)
- EPA proposes cleanup plan for Ashland, Wis., Superfund Site; hearing June 29, 7 p.m. - June 15, 2009
- EPA - WDNR Meeting on cleanup options for Ashland, Wis., Superfund site, Dec. 10, 6:30 p.m. - December 2, 2008
- Lakefront superfund site topic of an information workshop - October 23, 2007
- Lakefront superfund site topic of two information sessions - October 9, 2007
- Investigation of Ashland/Northern States Power Lakefront site to begin February 22, 2005
- Community Update About Cleanup Plans (PDF) (4pp, 1.4MB) November 2013
- EPA Picks Cleanup Plan for Soil, Sediment and Ground Water (PDF) (4pp, 440K) October 2010
- EPA Proposes Cleanup Plan (PDF) (12pp, 435K) June 2009
- Review of Cleanup Options Done; Selection of Plan is Next Step - Ashland/Northern States Power Lakefront Site (PDF) (4pp, 214K) November 2008
- Community Involvement Plan fact sheet (PDF) (2pp, 116K) November 2004
- Court Order Approval of Consent Dedcree (PDF) (6pp, 56K) October 2012
- Consent Decree (PDF) (200 pp, 4.33MB) Aug. 8, 2012
- Consent decree appendices (PDF) (347 pp, 25.9MB) Aug. 8, 2012
- Site-Specific Memorandum of Agreement between EPA and WDNR (PDF) (7pp, 48K) June 30, 2004
- Administrative order on consent (PDF) (34pp, 152K) November 2003
- Statement of Work (SOW) for Remedial Investigation/Feasibility Study (PDF) (34pp, 182K)attachment to AOC, November 2003
Manufactured Gas Plants (MGPs)
EPA Region 5 is working on former MGPs in Wisconsin and Illinois.
- Remedial Design Work Plan (PDF) (46 pp, 174K) June 2012
- Record of Decision (PDF) (433pp, 27MB) September 2010
- EPA Proposed Plan for Ashland/Northern States Power Lakefront Site (PDF) (31 pp, 11.59MB) June 2009
- Aerial photos of Ashland Lakefront site (PDF) (2pp, 200K) May 2009
- Quality Assurance Project Plan (PDF) (114pp, 1.3MB)
Monthly/Quarterly Progress Reports
- Ground Water Treatment Monitoring Report - April 2012 (PDF) (133pp, 1MB)
- Quarterly Progress Report #69 -September 2010 (PDF) (58pp, 501K)
- Quarterly Progress Report #68 - April 2010 (PDF) (65pp, 740K)
- Quarterly Progress Report #67 - October-December 2009 (PDF) (57pp, 940K)
- Quarterly Progress Report #66 - July-September 2009 (PDF)(65pp, 940K)
- Quarterly Progress Report #65 - April-June 2009 (PDF) (153pp, 804K)
- Monthly Update #64 - April 2009 (PFD) (45pp, 527K)
- Monthly update #63 - February 2009 (PDF) (29pp, 264K)
- Monthly update #62 - January 2009 (PDF) (29pp, 267K)
- View all progress reports 2003 to present
Remedial Investigation / Feasibility Study (RI/FS)
- Approval of Final Feasibility Study, December 04, 2008 (PDF) (2pp., 90K)
- Final Draft Report: Feasibility Study - Ashland/Northern State Power Lakefront Superfund Site (PDF) (299pp., 1.0MB)
- Proposed Final Site Plan View and Cross Section (PDF) (11 x 17 in.) (1pg. 221 K)
- Proposed Construction Elements and Cross Section (PDF) (11 x 17 in) (1 pg., 217K)
- Figures for Section 1 - 7 (PDF) (35pp, 12.8MB)
- Figures for Section 8 (PDF) (19pp, 3.6MB)
- EPA and DNR hosted a Feasibility Workshop to give area residents an opportunity to identify criteria to be used in evaluating site cleanup options. If you were unable to attend the workshop, please forward your thoughts to Patti Krause or John Robinson (see box at right).
- Presentation Oct 17, 2007, Public Meeting
- Ashland/NSP Lakefront Site RI Report & Supporting Documents
- Remedial Investigation Report (PDF) (264pp, 2.8MB) August 31, 2007
- Figures (PDF) (299pp, 27.2MB)
- Tables (PDF) (54pp, 378K)
- Appendix A (PDF) (36pp, 537K)
- Appendicies B to B2 (PDF) (643pp, 17.9MB)
- Appendicies C and D (PDF) (155pp, 16.8MB)
- Appendix E1 (PDF) (539pp, 4.0MB)
- Appendix E2 (PDF) (976pp, 6.2MB)
- Appendix E3 (PDF) (1395pp, 14.9MB)
- Appendix E4 (PDF) (1317pp, 14.7MB)
- Appendix E5 (PDF) (865pp, 13.3MB)
- Appendix F (PDF) (42pp, 184K)
- To view Appendices G through J please consult the Report at one of the repositories listed at right.
- Cleanup Investigation Complete; Identifying Options is Next Step (PDF) (8pp, 528K) Fact sheet, October 2007
- RI/FS Workplan (PDF) (234pp, 1.4MB) February 2005. This document describes how NSP-Wisconsin
will conduct field work, data analyses, risk assessment, and
cleanup option evaluation.
- Appendix A (PDF) (6 pp, 1.0MB)Contaminant Distribution Maps for Chequamegon Bay Inlet
- Appendix B (PDF) (25pp, 16.2MB) Site Geographic Information System (GIS) Database Platform - Examples
- Appendices C-E (PDF) (28pp, 403K)
- Appendices F-G (PDF) (18pp, 225K)
- Appendix H (PDF) (PDF, 11pp, 71K)
- Figures (PDF) (18pp, 2.4MB)
- Table of Contents (PDF) (5pp, 81K)
Field Sampling Plan (PDF) (264pp, 2.8MB) February 2005
This document provides more detail about how field work is going to be conducted.
Project Management Plan (PDF) (68pp, 726K) February
This document describes in more detail the roles and responsibilities of the various personnel as well as a schedule.
Community Involvement Plan
- Community Involvement Plan (PDF) (49pp, 1.5MB) January 2005
- EPA held a public hearing June 29 to formally present the proposed plan and accept public comments.
- EPA held an information session June 17 about the proposed cleanup plan for the Ashland/NSP Lakefront site.
- Cleanup Options Information Meeting (PDF) (57pp, 2.9MB) December 10, 2008
EPA, in collaboration with NSP Wisconsin, is doing a Superfund Innovative Technology Evaluation (SITE) Demonstration project at the former manufactured gas plant near Xcel Energy's Service Center on St. Claire St. in Ashland.
The project is testing the effectiveness of a chemical oxidation process in breaking down the pollutants found in ground water. Field work and sampling are done. EPA is awaiting a final report on the project which it will post when complete.