Big D Campground
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (email@example.com)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
312-353-9685 or 800-621-8431, ext. 39685
(where to view written records)
Kingsville Public Library
606 Academy Ave.
The 10-acre Big D Campground site is located at 3678 Creek Road, Kingsville, Ashtabula County, Ohio. It is north of Conneaut Creek and west of a campground. It was originally a sand and gravel pit. From 1964 to 1976, wastes, some known to be hazardous, were dumped in the pit. Leachate from the site contaminated the creek with chlorobenzene. Ground water was contaminated with volatile organic compounds and heavy metals including barium, chromium, and lead.The final cleanup plan was selected in 1989. Olin Corp., owner of area ground-water rights, did the cleanup. It involved digging up all source material from the landfill and incinerating it on-site from 1992-1994; covering the former landfill; and pumping and treating ground water on-site. Eventually, some portions of the pump and treat system were no longer needed and have been eliminated. At the request of the company, a trial period is underway to see if monitored natural attenuation could be used in place of the pump and treat system.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA is doing a status review of the cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment. This is the fourth five-year review for Big D. Contact the site community involvement coordinator and/or the remedial project manager to provide input on this review process.
The review will include:
- An evaluation of background information
- Cleanup requirements
- Effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
- An analysis of ways for EPA to operate more efficiently
A report, which will be available by April 2014, will detail the site's progress.
- Record of Decision (PDF) (256, 9.0MB) 1989
- Final RI Report, Vol. 1(PDF) (119pp., 5.0MB) June 2006
- Final FS Report (PDF) (292pp.,, 14.2MB) June 1989
- Proposed Plan (PDF) (23pp., 1.1MB) July 1989
- Third five-year review (PDF) (151pp, 31,3MB) April 2009
- Second five-year review (PDF) (76pp, 2.4MB) August 2004
- First five-year review (PDF) (22pp, 156K) September 1999