Community Involvement Coordinator
Mike Joyce (email@example.com)
312-353-5546 or 800-621-8431, ext. 35546
Remedial Project Manager
Nabil Fayoumi (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-6840 or 800-621-8431, ext. 66840
9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Indiana Department of Environmental Management Project Manager
317-234-0357 or 800-451-6027
(where to view written records)
Kokomo/Howard County Public Library
220 North Union Street
Kokomo , IN
From 1914 through 1986, the Continental Steel Corp. facility produced nails, wire and wire fence from scrap steel on a 183-acre facility in Kokomo. Manufacturing operations in the steel plant and on other portions of the property included the use, handling, storage and disposal of hazardous materials. Steel-making operations had included reheating, casting rolling, drawing, pickling, galvanizing, tinning and tempering.
After the company filed for bankruptcy in 1986, EPA and the Indiana Department of Environmental Management investigated the plant and property and found soil, sediments, surface water and ground water contaminated with volatile organic compounds PCBs and several metals, including lead. Lead contamination was also detected in some nearby residential soils.
The site is located in a mixed residential, commercial, and industrial area and is mainly zoned for general use. The closest residents are located within 100 feet east of the property fence line, along South Leeds Street.
This large sprawling cleanup site has six operable units:
- the ground water contamination (OU1);
- the Lagoon Area (OU2);
- Wildcat and Kokomo Creeks (OU3);
- the Markland Avenue Quarry (OU4);
- the Main Plant (OU5);
- and the Slag Processing Area (OU6).
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
In April 2009, EPA received almost $6 million in American Recovery and Reinvestment Act to complete needed cleanup at two problems at the 183-acre Continental Steel Superfund site: the former Slag Processing Area and the site's contaminated ground water. The ARRA funding helped accelerate the cleanup of hazardous waste hazardous waste on the site. In the process, total of 15 Indiana contractors or subcontractors were involved in the ARRA-funded work, creating at least 45 temporary jobs.
In August, 2010, using the ARRA funds, EPA completed the cleanup of the former slag processing area of the Superfund Site. Approximately 86,000 tons of slag were moved to the site's acid lagoon area for use as fill on that portion of the site. Two feet of clean soil were used to cap the former slag processing area, leaving it suitable for potential redevelopment. ARRA funds were also used to address contaminated groundwater at the site. This work included extensive groundwater sampling to determine the contaminated plume area and installation of groundwater extraction and monitoring wells. Three wind turbines will be used to generate much of the power needed to operate the groundwater extraction system.
In addition to the ARRA work, installation of a soil vapor extraction (SVE) system was completed in October 2010 to treat contaminated soil on the site, which is a source of the groundwater contamination.. The SVE system started to treat VOC contaminated soil on January 13, 2011 and will operate for approximately two years. Also, work was completed at the site's quarry in October 2010. Work at the site's Acid Lagoon continues and is expected to be completed by September 2011.
Superfund Program Implements the Recovery Act - Continental Steel, Kokomo, Indiana
- Slag waste removal under way at Recovery Act - funded Kokomo Superfund site - November 10, 2009
- Media Advisory: Briefing on Kokomo, Indiana's, Continental Steel Superfund site, Nov. 10, 1 p.m. - November 9, 2009
- Recovery Act funding to accelerate cleanup, boost economy, create jobs and protect human health at Kokomo hazardous waste site - April 15, 2009
- Continental Steel site update: Wildcat Creek dredging to begin, redevelopment highlighted - October 30, 2006
- Redevelopment Fact Sheet for Continental Steel Corp. (PDF) (2pp, 46K) July 2000
- Second Five Year Review(PDF) (173pp, 30.5MB) September 2007
- First Five Year Review (PDF) (116pp, 4.5MB) July 2002
- ESD (Explanation of Significant Differences) for OU 1 (PDF) (37pp, 1.9MB) September 2005
- Record of Decision (PDF) (186pp, 319K) September 1998
- Interim Record of Decision for OU 5 (PDF) (63pp, 113KB) August 1996