Chemical Recovery Systems
Community Involvement Coordinator
Virginia Narsete (email@example.com)
312-886-4359 or 800-621-8431, ext. 64359
Remedial Project Manager
Michelle Kerr (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-8961 or 800-621-8431, ext. 68961
(where to view written records)
Elyria Public Library
320 Washington Avenue
The Chemical Recovery Systems (CRS) site is located at 142 Locust Street in Lorain County, Elyria, Ohio. Zoning is predominately industrial and commercial near the central business district of Elyria. The site occupies 4 acres and is bordered to the west by the East Branch of the Black River. Operating from 1974 until 1981, CRS received used organic solvents from various industries, distilled the solvents on site, and sold the reclaimed solvents back to the industries. Solvents were transported to and from the site in 55-gallon drums or by tanker truck. The site is currently leased for storage of scrap aluminum and junked cars.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Update April 2011
After entering a Consent Decree settlement in July 2010, EPA approved the plan to do the Remedial Design at CRS site. The selected remedy requires potentially responsible parties to dispose of the contaminated debris at the site, dig up the northwest corner of the property and dispose of the contaminated soil, and place clean cover soil over the whole site. These actions should keep chemicals from moving into a nearby river and underground water supplies (called groundwater in environmental terms). Also the groundwater will be monitored to make sure the contaminants are breaking down over time, two on-site sumps will be cleaned out and closed, a sewer line on the property will be repaired, and site access and use is restricted. EPA expects the remedial design to be complete by Spring 2012 and work to start later that year.
- Transcript, US EPA Public Hearing, Chemical Recovery Systems Proposed Cleanup Plan, July 26, 2007 (PDF) (37pp, 50K)
- EPA Proposed Cleanup Plan for Polluted Industrial Site: Fact sheet July 2007(PDF) (8pp, 36K)
- EPA Investigates Former Chemical Plant Site (PDF) (1pg, 87K) November 2003
- Schedule for PRP-Conducted Remedial Investigation and Feasibility Study (PDF) (1pg, 11" x 17", 19K) Gantt chart July 2003
- Chemical Recovery Systems, Inc. Superfund Site (fact sheet) (PDF) (2pp, 164K) June 2001
- Chemical Recovery Systems, Inc. Superfund Site (fact sheet) (PDF) (2pp, 224K) November 1999
- RA/RD Consent Decree (PDF) (104pp, 4.3MB) Sept 2010
- Administrative Order on Consent (PDF) (122pp, 4.8MB) May 2002
- Chemical Recovery Systems Record of Decision (PDF) (163pp, 3.6MB) October 2007
- Technical Proposed Plan (PDF) (26pp, 867K) June 2007
- Human Health Risk Assessment, June 2004 (PDF) (1401pp, 45.8MB)
- Ecological Risk Assessment, Revision 2, April 2006 (PDF) (73pp, 4.6MB)
- Feasibility Study, Revision 3 , August 2006 (PDF) (152pp, 4.3MB)
- Remedial Investigation Report, August 2006 (PDF) (575pp, 30.0MB)
- EPA held a public meeting Thursday, July 26, 2007
- EPA accepted comments July 16-September 13, 2007.