Eagle Zinc Superfund Site
Community Involvement Coordinator
Teresa Jones (email@example.com)
312-886-0725 or 800-621-8431, ext. 60725
Remedial Project Manager
Hillsboro Public Library
214 School St.
The Eagle Zinc site is located in the city and township of Hillsboro, Illinois, Montgomery County. The 132-acre site is located in a commercial /industrial/residential area in northeast Hillsboro. The site extends from Smith road to the north of Middle Fork of Shoal Creek on the south. The site operated as a zinc smelter from 1912 to 2003. Other site operations included the production of sulfuric acid and zinc oxide.
Leftover material and contaminants from the manufacturing operations are concentrated in 15 piles, which are mainly located in the central and southern portions of the site. A large pond that formerly provided water for site operations is located in the southwest corner of the site. Buildings formerly used for manufacturing operation currently occupy 20 percent of the site. The site is currently zoned industrial by the city of Hillsboro and legal restrictions on the property limit future site use to industrial use. Local authorities have expressed interest in redeveloping the site.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
The first phase of the cleanup of the Eagle Zinc site started early December 2014. Nine of the 22 buildings scheduled for demolition have been demolished as of mid-January. The buildings were inspected for asbestos and other contaminated waste prior to demolition. Asbestos removal and off-site disposal also started in December and continues through January. Iron, bricks and other reusable materials are being recycled when possible, and the remaining waste is being disposed of off-site (see photos of site activities in the Photo Gallery to the right). Air quality is being monitored during the demolition.
The first phase is scheduled to be completed by May 2015. The community will be informed as updates become available.
See all past Site Updates
- Cleanup to Start at Former Zinc Smelter (PDF) (2pp, 360KB) November 2014
- EPA Proposes Waste Cleanup at Former Zinc Plant (PDF) (6pp, 283KB) June 2012
- Project Update: Building Demolition Planned (PDF) (4pp, 1.2MB) May 2011
- Eagle Zinc Site Interim Remedy Proposed Plan (PDF) (32pp, 607K) May 2009
- EPA Proposes Interim Cleanup Plan for Eagle Zinc (PDF) (7pp, 1.1MB) May, 2009
- Record of Decision (PDF) (67pp, 5.9MB) September 2012
- Proposed Plan for OU2 (PDF) (19pp, 458KB) June 2012
- Feasibility Study (PDF) (426pp, 13MB) May 2012
- Supplemental Remedial Investigation Report (PDF) (728pp, 28.5MB) May 2012
- Community Involvement Plan (PDF) (55pp, 4.7MB) May 2011
- Remedial Investigation Report (PDF) (170pp, 8.7MB) February 2005
NOTE: For the full report (713pp, 121.6MB) containing tables, figures and appendices, please see the repository or request a copy on CD from the Community Involvement Coordinator.