Ellsworth Industrial Park Site
- Downers Grove, IL (DuPage County)
- EPA ID# ILN000508246
- CERCLIS listing
- This site is not on the NPL; it is a Superfund Alternative Site (SAS)
- SAS fact sheet
- Alias(es): Downers Grove ground water
- Aerial photographs showing distribution of trichloroethylene (TCE) and tetrachloroethylene (PCE) on the site.
Community Involvement Coordinator
Teresa Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-0725 or 800-621-8431, ext. 60725
Remedial Project Manager
Nanjunda Gowda (email@example.com)
312-353-9236 or 800-621-8431, ext. 39236
Tom Krueger (firstname.lastname@example.org)
(where to view written records)
Downers Grove Public Library
1050 Curtiss St.
Downers Grove, IL
From May 2001 to January 2002, the Illinois EPA sampled more than 500 residential wells in unincorporated areas near Downers Grove, Illinois, and found more than 400 of these wells to be contain the chemicals trichloroethylene (TCE) and/or tetrachloroethylene (PCE). Of those, more than 200 were above the federal safe drinking water standards. As a result, one of the most intensive ground water investigations ever undertaken in Northern Illinois was conducted by U.S. EPA Region 5's Emergency Response Branch and the Illinois EPA.
The Ellsworth Industrial Park Site is a direct result of this $2 million-dollar effort. The investigation indicated that a group of 15 former and present businesses and individuals in the industrial park that investigation may be responsible for the residential ground water contamination. EPA sent General and Special Notice Letters to this group of "Potentially Responsible Parties," or PRPs, in the September and October of 2002. EPA has asked this group of PRPs to address the threat to human health and the environment by paying most of the costs of hooking up approximately 800 homes to Lake Michigan water and by beginning their own investigation of how to address the contamination in the area,s ground water.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- Field Work Begins on Cleanup Investigation (PDF) (4pp, 116K) October 2006
- Comments from residents on the proposed settlement 2001
- Illinois EPA Downers Grove Groundwater Investigation Fact Sheets
- Preliminary Planning Report, Ellsworth Industrial Park (PDF) (326pp, 1.4MB) March 2006
Health Assessment (PDF) (22pp,
104K) March 2003
for Downers Grove Groundwater Investigation (aka Ellsworth Industrial Park). Prepared by Illinois Department of Public Health under cooperative agreement with the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) March
- Background and Statement of Issues
- Chemicals of Interest
- TCE and PCE Exposure
- TCE and Health
- PCE and Health
- Community Concerns
- Health Outcome Data
- Child Health Initiative
- Recommendations and Public Health Action Plan
- Preparer of Report
- Aerial photographs showing distribution of trichloroethylene (TCE) (PDF) (1pg, 195K) and tetrachloroethylene (PCE) (PDF) (1pg, 227K) December 2002
- Administrative Settlement, Agreement and Order (PDF) (30pp, 62K) September 2005
- Appendix A: Supplemental Provisions for Implementation of the RI/FS by Respondent (PDF) (18pp, 47K) September 2005
- Special Notice Letter Re: Ellsworth Industrial Park Site (PDF) (17pp, 30K) December 2004
- Administrative Order
on Consent (AOC) (PDF) (20pp,
139K) July 2003
This is the Final AOC that went into effect August 15, 2003.
in Principle (PDF) (8pp, 55K) August 2003
This agreement between the EPA, Illinois EPA, the Illinois Attorney General and the PRPs describes the approach to be taken for the future investigation and cleanup of the site.
- Administrative Order by Consent (PDF) (19pp, 126K) May 2003
- Administrative Order by Consent (PDF) (30pp, 192K) October 2002
- Special Notice Letter (PDF) (15pp, 175K) October 2002
- Statement of Work (PDF) (14pp,
175K) October 2002
regarding the Downers Grove/Ellsworth Industrial Park ground water Investigation
- General Notice Letter (PDF) (8pp, 101K) August 2, 2002