ESI Environmental Inc Site
Residents should call this number to report odors:
Mayor's Action Center
Community Involvement Coordinator
Janet Pope (email@example.com)
312-353-0628 or 800-621-8431, ext. 30628
312-886-3601 or 800-621-8431, ext. 63601
312-886-7949 or 800-621-8431, ext. 67949
Cheryl L. Carlson
City of Indianapolis
2700 S. Belmont Ave.
Indianapolis, IN 46221
Indiana Department of Environmental Management
State Cleanup Section - Remediation Service Branch
Private Wells Concerns
Marion County Health Department
Update: ESI managers sentenced for criminal violations
A vice-president and two managers of ESI were sentenced for felony violations of the Clean Water Act on April 4, 2011. They were convicted of intentionally discharging untreated wastewater and stormwater from the facility directly into the Indianapolis sewer system. More information >>
ESI began operation in December 1999 as a commercial used oil processing facility. The facility collected, processed, recovered, and disposed of nonhazardous wastewater from industrial and commercial manufacturing plants. All materials received into the facility were treated and processed to separate the contaminants. The water collected during this process was discharged separately into the city of Indianapolis sanitary sewer system. The contaminants were further processed into a form that allowed for proper recycling or disposal. Any oils recovered in the process were shipped off-site to be reused. The site was designed so that the stormwater at the site was captured in its internal sewer system and ultimately run through its wastewater processing equipment prior to being discharged into the city sanitary sewer system.
On March 15, 2007, during a heavy rainfall, untreated oil and water from the site flowed into the city sewer system through a by-pass sewer that had been left open. This release resulted in contamination of surrounding commercial and residential properties. The resulting cleanup lead to the by-pass sewer being permanently sealed. In 2007, ESI was notified by a customer that a shipment of used oil from the site had contained PCBs. As a result, the equipment was decontaminated. Another release occurred in 2009 resulting again in contamination of area commercial and residential properties. Another cleanup took place, but these two releases indicate the need for runoff from the site to be controlled.
In October 2010 ESI filed bankruptcy leaving behind tanks containing hazardous chemicals such as sulfuric acid and polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs. EPA began a cleanup to address potential imminent health threats posed by these abandoned chemicals. One of the primary concerns was the potential for chemicals from the site to be released into the city sanitary sewer system or area surrounding the site in the event of a heavy rain or snow melt. For this reason, a primary focus of the work was and continues to be managing stormwater runoff.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA continues to address stormwater issues around the site. EPA will be giving an update on the present activities at the site at a public meeting for Pike Township scheduled for Monday, April 11, 2011, at from 2:00PM - 3:30pm (Eastern Time) at 1200 Madison Avenue, Suite 100, Indianapolis.
- Cleanup Completed at ESI (PDF) (2pp, 316KB) November 2012
- Vice president, two managers of waste treatment facility sentenced for Clean Water Act felonies - April 4, 2011
- January 21 2011 PRP Meeting Power Point Presentation (PDF) (29pp, 3.5MB) January 2011
- Continued Clean-up Efforts at ESI Environmental, Inc. Facility - Flyer (PDF) (1pp, 263K) September 2011
- EPA Doing Cleanup At ESI Environmental Inc. (PDF) (2pp, 210K) October 2010
- ESI - PRP Removal Pollution Report #3(PDF) (5pp, 44K) May 6, 2011
- Pollution Report #13 (PDF) (6pp, 83K) March 3, 2011
- Pollution Report #11 (PDF) (6pp, 36K) December 22, 2010
- Pollution Report #10 (PDF) (6pp, 36K) December 20, 2010
- Pollution Report #9 (PDF) (6pp, 36K) December 13, 2010
- Pollution Report #7 (PDF) (6pp, 41K) December 1, 2010
- Pollution Report #6 (PDF) (6pp, 35K) November 20, 2010
- Pollution Report #5 (PDF) (6pp, 31K) November 12, 2010
- Pollution Report #4 (PDF) (6pp, 31K) November 8, 2010
- Pollution Report #3 (PDF) (5pp, 24K) October 22, 2010
- Pollution Report #2 (PDF) (5pp, 31K) October 15, 2010
- Pollution Report #1 (PDF) (6pp, 32K) October 9, 2010
- Administrative Settlement Agreement and Order on Consent (PDF) (48pP, 2.26mb) April 2011
- Notice of Hearing on Trustee's Emergency Motions to Assume Executory Contracts, (PDF), (1pg, 17K) October 27, 2010
- Exhibit C - Motions to Assume Executory Contracts (PDF), (3pp, 171K) October 14, 2010
- Exhibit B - Motions to Assume Executory Contracts (PDF), (4pp, 171K) October 1, 2010
- Exhibit A - Motions to Assume Executory Contracts (PDF), (8pp, 283K) September 30, 2010
- Motion for Leave to Assume Executory Contract with WSP Environmental & Energy (PDF), (14pp, 52K) October 9, 2010
- Action Memorandom (PDF) (17pp, 1.72MB) September 2010