Evergreen Manor Ground Water Contamination
Community Involvement Coordinator
Janet Pope (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-0628 or 800-621-8431, ext.30628
Remedial Project Manager
William Ryan (email@example.com)
312-353-4374 or 800-621-8431, ext. 34374
Illinois EPA Project Manager
Illinois EPA Rockford
Manager, Land Pollution Control Section
Winnebago County Health Department
Groundwater Protection Coordinator
Illinois Department of Public Health
North Park Water District
(where to view written records)
Roscoe Branch Library
5562 Clayton Circle
The Evergreen Manor Groundwater Contamination Site is approximately 1.5 miles northwest of Roscoe, Ill. The site was defined by the extent of groundwater contamination in the region. The investigations conducted at the site identified a plume of contaminated ground water extending from an area on Rockton Road just east of Highway 251, to Tresemer, Olde Fairm, Evergreen Manor, and the Hononegah Heights Subdivisions.
EPA has "de-proposed" the Evergreen Manor site from the National Priorities List. The site was proposed for listing on the NPL in 1998, but was later designated a Superfund Alternative Site.
In May 1999, three potentially responsible parties signed an administrative order on consent to finance a non time-critical removal action that connected 281 residences to the North Park Public Water District. EPA completed the public water hookup in 1999 and 2000, and the private wells at the affected homes were abandoned according to state code. In September 2003 a cleanup plan was agreed upon to address residual groundwater contamination at the site.
In fall 2011, the PRPs completed their groundwater monitoring program and the results demonstrated steadily declining contaminant concentrations from levels that have been below drinking water standards since 2006. Given that affected residences have been connected to the public water supply, a county ordinance restricts the installation of private wells in the area, and contaminants of concern have remained below remedial standards since 2006, in September 2012 EPA de-proposed the Evergreen Manor site from the National Priorities List.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- EPA Starts its Review of the Evergreen Manor Groundwater Contamination Superfund Site June 2008
- Public Meeting Planned for Update on Cleanup Process (PDF) (2pp, 257K) December 2004
- Record of Decision Evergreen Manor Groundwater Contamination, September 2003
- EPA Proposes Cleanup Plan for Ground-Water Contamination, July 2003 (PDF, 8pp, 888K)
- Indoor Air Sampling Results Available, February 2003 (PDF, 4pp, 157K)
- Evaluating the Vapor Intrusion into Indoor
November 2002 (PDF, 2pp 22K)
- Roscoe Q&A and Fact Sheet, October 21, 2002 (PDF, 6pp, 58K)
- Construction of Water Main Extension Project to Begin at the Evergreen Manor Groundwater Contamination Site, July 1999 (PDF, 6pp 159K)
- U.S. EPA Selects Water Option for the Evergreen Manor Groundwater Contamination Site, March 1999 (PDF, 4pp 126K)
- U.S. EPA Evaluates Removal Options for the Evergreen Manor Groundwater Contamination Site, November 1998 (PDF, 8pp 138K)
- A public meeting was held Tuesday, August 19, 2003.
- A public meeting was held Tuesday, February 18, 2003.