Ford Road Landfill Site
EPA will share details about the second phase of the Ford Road Landfill cleanup at an Open House on
Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 7 p.m.
Elyria City Hall, 131 Court St.
Community Involvement Coordinator
Patricia Krause (email@example.com)
312-886-9506 or 800-621-8431, ext. 69506, 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. CST
Remedial Project Manager
Demaree Collier (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-0214 or 800-621-8431, ext. 60214
(where to view written records)
Elyria Public Library - West River Branch
1194 W. River Rd. North
The landfill was in operation since the early 1900s. The site was originally a ravine which has been filled to the same level as Ford Road. The landfill accepted municipal and various industrial wastes in drums and in bulk into the 1970s. The current owner of the site is the Lorain County Metropolitan Parks District. The landfill was brought to the attention of U.S. EPA in 1979. A series of actions have taken place since then. They are listed in the CERCLIS database and described in the Administrative Order by Consent.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA will share details about the second phase of the Ford Road Landfill cleanup at an Open House scheduled for 7 p.m., Thursday, May 10 at the Elyria City Hall, 131 Court St., Elyria.
This second phase of cleanup will begin in late May or early June along the sides of the landfill. Waste materials will be either removed and incorporated back into the landfill or taken to a licensed facility if necessary. More information is available in the fact sheet Cleanup Enters Second Phase(PDF)(2pp, 1.3MB).
- Ford Road Landfill cleanup plan proposed: Meeting July 26 News release July 2006
- Cleanup Enters Second Phase (PDF) (2pp, 1.3MB) April 2012
- Ohio Department of Health Exposure to Toxic Chemicals - Answers to Frequently Asked Health Questions (PDF) (1pp, 40KB)
- Cleanup Work to Start With “Hot Spot” Removal (PDF) (2pp, 203K)
- Ford Road photos 2009 (PDF) (5pp, 167K)
- EPA Proposes Cleanup Plan; Requests Public Comment (PDF)(10pp, 403K) June 2006 Fact sheet
- Record of Decision (ROD) (PDF) (97pp, 6.3MB) September 2006
- Community Involvement Plan: Ford Road Industrial Landfill Site, Elyria, Ohio, July 2004 (Final) (PDF) ( 45 pp, 271K)
- Administrative Order by Consent (PDF) (33pp,111K) April 2004
- Administrative Order by Consent (PDF) (63pp, 3.4MB) July 2002
- EPA held a public meeting on July 26, 2006 to explain its recommended cleanup plan and answer questions, and accept oral and written comments.