G & H Industrial Landfill, Inc.
Community Involvement Coordinator
Cheryl Allen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-6196 or 800-621-8431, ext. 36196
Remedial Project Manager
William Ryan (email@example.com)
312-353-4374 or 800-621-8431, ext. 34374
(where to view written records)
Shelby Township Library
51680 Van Dyke Ave.
The site is comprised of about 60 acres of landfilled property plus almost 30 acres of mitigated and replacement wetlands and other impacted areas including a former junkyard. From 1955 until 1973, G & H Landfill accepted waste oil and solvents and municipal waste for disposal. By the mid-1960s the State had noted that ground water contamination was occurring in areas south of the site and prohibited the further disposal of industrial solvents in the landfill. Later, the State discovered an on-site oil seep containing PCBs. The State of Michigan referred the site to U.S. EPA in 1982. US EPA performed a site investigation in 1982 and under its CERCLA authority, subsequently listed the site on the National Priorities List (NPL) in September 1983.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA is conducting a third five-year review of G and H landfill Superfund site. The EPA’s cleanup of PCB contamination at the abandoned landfill consisted of building an engineered landfill cap over the site in compliance with Michigan Hazardous Waste Rules. It also involved constructing a subsurface vertical barrier wall (slurry wall) around the perimeter of the site, building and operating a pump-and-treat system for ground water (underground water), long-term monitoring, and restoration and maintenance of nearby wetlands.The review should be completed by the end of May.
- Second Five-Year Review Report for G&H Landfill Site, September 2006 (PDF) (42pp, 7.1MB)