Hegeler Zinc Superfund Site
Community Involvement Coordinator
312-886-0725 or 800-621-8431, ext. 60725
Remedial Project Manager
Colleen Moynihan email@example.com
312-353-8196 or 800-621-8431, ext. 38196
(where to view written records)
Danville Public Library
319 N. Vermhegeler_f2ilion St.
Westville Public Library
233 S. Street St.
This 100-acre site was a zinc smelting facility from 1906 until approximately 1954. It is located west of the village of Hegeler, which is south of Danville, Illinois. It is in a rural area, bordered by farmland on the west and the north.
Hegeler Zinc produced various grades of zinc slab and rolled zinc
products as well as sulfuric acid. The smelting operation resulted in large
amounts of slag (through a burning process), which was stored in piles on
the site. The slag material contains unburned residues and metals such as
lead, arsenic and zinc.
In May 2003, EPA secured the site with a fence to protect trespassers from contamination at the request of the Illinois EPA.
In 2004, Illinois EPA nominated the site to the National Priorities List (NPL).
In April 2005, the Hegeler Zinc site officially became an NPL site, listed in the Federal Register.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA is proposing a cleanup plan to remove contaminated soil from the residential area near the Hegeler Zinc Superfund site. EPA encourages you to attend the open house and public meeting, Thursday, July 24, to find out more information about the cleanup options. The Agency is accepting comments from the public July 9 thru August 8. EPA invites you to comment on the proposed cleanup plan online.
- EPA Proposes Cleanup Plan for Hegeler Residential Area (PDF) (6 pp, 561 K) July 2014
- Proposed Plan for Hegeler Zinc Site – Operable Unit 3 (PDF) (35 pp, 1.74 MB) July 2014
During the week of January 7th, 2013 EPA will install 3 mid-depth groundwater monitoring wells adjacent to the Hegeler Zinc Superfund Site. The following week, all thirteen existing mid-depth groundwater monitoring wells offsite and onsite will be sampled for metals and water level measurements collected. The groundwater sampling will help EPA better understand the direction of the groundwater flow and the nature and extent of metals contamination.
- Hegeler Superfund Site Update: EPA Begins Collecting More Soil and Water Samples - April 1, 2010
- EPA plans more sampling near Hegeler Superfund site; open house and public meeting May 28 - May 18, 2009
- EPA names new Superfund National Priorities List sites in Danville, Ill., and Copley, Ohio - April 27, 2005
- EPA To Host Open House for Former Smelter Site (PDF) (2pp, 258K) October 2010
- EPA Plans More Soil Sampling in Yards (PDF) (4pp, 947K) May 2009
- EPA Study Concludes Cleanup Is Needed (PDF) (2pp, 623K) June 2007
- Sampling to Begin at the Hegeler Zinc Superfund Site April 2006
- EPA Summarizes Responses From Community Interviews October 2005
- Hegler Zinc Placed on Official Superfund List May 2005
- Hegeler Residential Area Proposed Cleanup Plan(PDF) (40pp, 3.3 MB) July 2014
- Hegeler Zinc Superfund Site (PDF) (27pp, 938K) May 2009
- Supplemental Remedial Investigation Report OU3 (PDF)(1411pp, 34MB)
- Appendices of Remedial investigation report (PDF) (1314pp, 48MB)
- Figure 6 of Remedial investigation report (PDF) (29pp, 44MB)
- Figure 5 of Remedial investigation report (PDF) (12pp, 6MB)
- Figure 4 of Remedial investigation report (PDF) (7pp, 11MB)
- Figure 3 of Remedial investigation report (PDF) (3pp, 6.2MB)
- Figure 2 of Remedial investigation report (PDF) (21pp, 29MB)
- Table 7 of Remedial investigation report (PDF) (3pp, 24KB)
- Table 6 of Remedial investigation report (PDF) (181pp, 683KB)
- Table 5 of Remedial investigation report (PDF) (4pp, 23KB)
- Table 4 of Remedial investigation report (PDF) (31pp, 70KB)
- Final Remedial investigation Report (partial), Version 2. Volume 1 (PDF) (223pp, 11 MB)
NOTE: The full report is available for study at the repositories listed in the box at right.
- EPA and the Vermilion County Health Department hosted a public meeting May 28, 2009.
- EPA representatives held a public meeting June 12, 2007 at the Westville Public LIbrary regarding the study and sampling results.
- EPA representatives held a public meeting April 18, 2006 at Tilton Village Hall regarding the 2006 sampling project.